PDA

View Full Version : Tires???

Albee
04-25-2005, 17:18
I have been running BFG 285-75-16 tires for the past 35,000 miles. I am going to go down to a 265-75-16 tire next. Looking at the Big O Radial A/T and the Cooper Discoverer in a load range E. The BFG's are a load range D. Going to a smaller tire to get rid of some rubbing issues when turning and so I can put my front mud flaps back on. LOL. I still am unclear about these load ratings. My load range D, BFG's have a weight capacity of around 3,400 lbs. A 265 tire in load range E, has just over that. Why is the 285 BFG rated at load range D when it can carry as much as a load range E tire? Anyway, who knows anything about these two tires? I want a strong strong tire. Thanks

SLT556
04-26-2005, 05:48
Load range rating apply to the number of plies under the tread. Load range E ia 12 ply tire, I think, and the BFG with a load range D are 8 ply.

Craig M
04-27-2005, 14:20
Different manufacturers use different data. I go by the formula that pressure times contact area gives tire capacity. The E rated tires usually have 80 psi for maximum air pressure (D's usually have a lower psi). The widest E tire that will fit will give you the maximum capacity.

bobo
04-27-2005, 15:17
Don't count out the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. It's a great tire, but not made in the USA. You can get them in an E rated 265 too!

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2005, 17:43
Originally posted by Craig M:
Different manufacturers use different data. I go by the formula that pressure times contact area gives tire capacity. The E rated tires usually have 80 psi for maximum air pressure (D's usually have a lower psi). The widest E tire that will fit will give you the maximum capacity. If the rating statement with a tire is NOT the same as other brands' same size rating, it is not legal for use on US highways. USDOT establishes the ply ratings and capacities for tires. A given size of tire with the same ply rating will have the same weight capacity and PSI requirements. For example, a 285/75/16D is rated for 3305 pounds @ 65 PSI regardless of brand name or manufacturer. The weight capacity is determined (by USDOT) by ply rating and footprint at the rated pressure. A larger footprint (the part that contacts the road) allows for higher weight capacities at the same pressure for a given ply rating.