PDA

View Full Version : Help Adding Cab Marker Lights

Spud
07-17-2002, 06:00
Hey,

Dad and I are getting ready to add cab lights to his 2500HD. We have the lights and harness already. We are not sure how the clips on the lights connect to the top of the cab. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Spud

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-17-2002, 08:48
Spud,

I have a buddy at a body shop who said the clips have a square bottom and that they push into the holes in the roof from the factory. I am going by what he's telling me.

I don't have cab lights or I would have looked for you.

hope it works out.

GMC ;)

Chris N5CWM
07-19-2002, 07:00
I would advise not to attempt it. The holes in the
roof are punched in with a die at the factory and
yes they are square. Good luck making the exact size
square so the plastic piece "snaps" into place firmly
and if it does NOT, you will have leaks when it
rains! Better off not tempting fate, risking water
damage which can lead to mold/mildew and later on
RUST! Thats my opinion.

If not Factory installed, don't bother.

CALIMAX
07-20-2002, 21:04
SPUD, Go ahead & add those cab lights. I installed them on my truck by drilling a round hole & then filing to square it off. The plastic piece does NOT fit into the hole. The METAL piece fits into the hole. The plastic piece is for the threads on the screw. The roof metal is thin so is does not require alot of filing at each hole but it does take time.

csimo
07-21-2002, 09:41
I respect your decision to install the marker lights (I really dislike the looks of a truck with them), but I would like to know why?

When I see them on trucks at the dealer or on the road I ask myself what possible purpose could they have on a pickup truck?

I guess I just don't get it!

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-21-2002, 15:17
csimo,

I can tell you that I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN cab lights on my '02 if GMC and Chevy would have just left it at 5 individual lights!!! I had always liked the three single center lights with the two individual outside lights. They look sharp at night.

Anyway, I completely dislike that ceneter light bar. I don't know what the H*LL they were thinking at GM, but in my opinion they should go back to the old way with 5 lights.

I had thought about buying 5 of the single lights and putting them on but said the heck with it.

GOOD LUCK SPUD.

GMC

[ 07-21-2002: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

Spud
07-21-2002, 16:03
I personally like the way the cab lights make the truck look. I think it makes the truck look like a big truck. This is my personal opinion, but that is what a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is supposed to look like. Now that Chevrolet has gone and ruined the looks of the HD with the 03 models I wanted to hold on to the massive big look. Thanks for all of the advice on putting the lights on. I have a buddy that has installed them on his truck and he has given me the measurements. Now all I have to do is start drilling and filing. Thanks again
Spud

NutNbutGMC
07-31-2002, 18:14
^....Spud (potato)... What's up? Do you have an update on the install, you gonna' leave me hanging, or have you been on the couch all of this time??? :D

Viking
07-31-2002, 18:53
Csimo, a real truck has cab lights. Street cruisers normally do not.

uncle t
08-02-2002, 15:31
sort of off point but i have asked a lot of folks this question and nobody knows the answer. why can't you get roof marker lights installed by the factory on 2500HD or 3500s with california emissions?

many folks say this is b.s. but check for yourself on kbb.com. buikd yourself a chevy/gmc and see the proviso on roof marker lights " N/A w/ California emmision.) :D

conradv
08-02-2002, 15:50
Can you order the cab lights, then remove the bigger center one and replace with two or three small lights the same as the outside ones? (I don't know what holes they drill).

CV

NutNbutGMC
08-02-2002, 19:15
^....CV, ask Spud, hell, he's been working on his for over 3 weeks now. Surely he would know the answer to that by now, however, he may not be done yet. My odds are that he's been on the couch all of this time... DAMMIT Spud. What's up with this?

Paintdude
08-02-2002, 20:03
I would never do it..Drilling holes in the roof will cause rust-pealing paint on the edges of the holes,just like an aftermarket sun roof and the cut up conversion vans...The factory stamped holes are painted that way, then the lights are installed..OEM is best..You just as well go with a Lighted shade over the windshield..

3176CATPOWER
08-03-2002, 13:25
If I had ordered my truck out I too would not have choosen the taxi lites.But there up there,so get used to them.I do believe other vehicles can spot you easier in some circumstances(lite colored truck cresting hill in snow).I saw a HD Chevy with lites in sunvisor that looked pretty good.

Joe Pool
08-03-2002, 14:09
uncle t,

For some strange reason California decided that since marker lights aren't required on a 2500HD, due to their width being less than 80", you aren't allowed to order them. All 3500s (duallies) are required to have the cab, flair and rear center markers per DOT due to their width being 80" or over.

For specifications go to:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/standards

Later, Joe

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: Joe Pool ]

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: Joe Pool ]

[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: Joe Pool ]</p>

uncle t
08-03-2002, 14:18
joe-

thanks.

but you can order them on a federal emission 2500HD. Californicate!!!! that and about 5000 other reasons are why i left it after living there 54 years.

Joe Pool
08-03-2002, 14:21
uncle t,

No problem.

Later, Joe

wolfie
08-04-2002, 17:05
It seems to me there are a couple of other options that aren't available in CA either... Dual batteries comes to mind... and it seems like there was something else too.

mackin
08-04-2002, 17:59
wolfie ,

Smoke....... :D :D :D

California is so regulated it's ridicules take fruit and vegies,they take people (kids) and stick them in the desert at the border in shacks... When I was coming back from Nevada they would stop every car the only thing they asked was got any produce...... :rolleyes: That was it !!!!!!!
No, but we got loaded guns in our pockets ......Have a nice day.....Un friggen believable.....I know I'll hear it from the California guys on that one, about how devastating it was (fruit flies) on our wine grapes.....Like I'm gonna tell them ya we got peaches in the cooler want one?So what drink beer or something else......LOL
They are so easy to make fun of all that liberal BS at its best.......

MAC

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Spud
08-05-2002, 06:42
NutNbutGMC,

Sorry it has taken me so long to post. I have been very busy and have not gotten a chance to even start on it. I have a buddy that installed them on his truck and he took a Square file and made the holes just like the factory. Hopefully maybe one day this week I will get to start on it. Actually this is dad's truck. If it were mine they would have already been done. I would have made time. Also the buddy that has installed them before was going to give a few pointers but his dad went into the hospital. I will give a detailed description and maybe so pics of the install if I can ever get off of the couch :D

conradv,

I don't think you could take the center one off and add two individual lights because of the way the holes are placed on the long middle light.

Thanks
Spud

csimo
08-05-2002, 07:25
Spud,

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your friend did NOT use a file (or anything else) to make the holes "just like the factory".

They may be the same shape, but that's about it. At the factory the holes are already in at body-in-white (the metal shop, or some say body shop) department which is prior to paint. The entire vehicle goes thru at least seven steps of anti-corrosion treatment (one major step is the Micro-bond process which some would call the Phosphate tank) before going into the Uni-Coat tank (some would say primer, or body dip). Then the vehicle is painted.

The result is that the factory has done as much as possible to make sure the roof (or any other part) doesn't rust out.

By you drilling, filing, or whatever method you use to put the holes there, you have voided your anti-corrosion warranty for that body panel, and there is nothing you can do to effectively stop corrosion.