PDA

View Full Version : Generac Generator ?

truck31
07-16-2002, 17:39
PROPANE OR LPG GENERATOR - I know this is off the path but I don't know who else to turn to . I have a Lance truck camper with a generac generator that has been giving me trouble from day one. I am hoping with all those campers out there with generators , someone might be able to help me as I have little time before I go on vacation and won't have time for a technition to look at it. It will run for ten seconds and then shut off. The first time it happened the problem was a leaky propane regulator . It worked fine for a short time after that and then the same thing is happening.I thought maybe it was a low oil problem so I changed the oil and that did not help. I was wondering if anybody else with this generator might be having the same problems and may be able to give me some answers.What ever help you could give me would be really appreciated . Thanks , Art
The Darn thing has only 9 hours on it.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: truck31 ]</p>

SDWA
07-16-2002, 17:45
Barring any type of shutdown interlocks/protection problem, it sounds like a fuel supply problem. Valve open all the way? Kinks in any hoses?

Scott

odoh
07-16-2002, 18:16
Had a toyota that acted the same way. Large flakes of rust in the gastank was impeding fuel flow. We confirmed it by disconnecting the line and blowing back into the tank and it would run normal for awhile. ~ odoh

truck31
07-16-2002, 18:20
I have two thirty pounders and both valves are opened all the way. What I was going to do next was to replace the hoses that connect to the valves . I know the slightest leak will cause this shut down problem . I crossed thredded one of them some time ago ( before the regulator was replaced )but did not think it caused any damage.None that I could see anyway , now I am not to sure. The Lance dealer told me that they were getting a lot of complaints about defective regulators so I am hoping this one isn't bad as well. I have a bubble solution but can not find any leaks.
I think your right though and thanks for your quick response . Odoh , I am sorry I didn't mention it was a generator that ran on Propane.

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: truck31 ]

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: truck31 ]</p>

APR2000
07-16-2002, 18:21
Definitely sounds like a fuel blockage. My Honda generator will shut down when it sits all winter. The fuel will gum up in the filter from the gas treatment. Try cleaning the filter or by-passing the filter to see if it is blocked.

odoh
07-16-2002, 18:43
Truck ~ My bad. It was there but I was searching my memory banks rather than reading. Good luck ~ hope the vacation is great. ~ odoh

TXMAX
07-17-2002, 03:27
You might try going over to www.IRV2.com and posting over there. I have been reading thier site for the past month or so and they seem to provide info comparable with this one in terms of quality without too much BS, of course I don't think they have a Mackin to "enrich" thier reading. :D Anyway, I'm willing to bet that with all the topic breakdowns they have you can get a quick response. It only takes a minute to get registered.

Godd luck,
Abe

NutNbutGMC
07-17-2002, 04:52
^....WHAT????? No Woos on the other forum???? Forget that place.. :D :D ...

andy911
07-17-2002, 12:45
Hi truck31,
Don't know if this applies to the Genrac gen. sets, but I had a very similar problem with my Onan Gasoline powered Generator, also from day one. It turned out to be the electronic ignition module which was defective. Unit would run for varying short perriods and then shut down and usually wouldn't restart.

Hope it helps.

truck31
07-18-2002, 13:29
Thanks men , I went over to the rv2 sight that TMAX recomended and seems that there are quite a few other guys who are not to happy with the generac generator as well . If this continues than somebody has got to do something about it to get these things to work . What a waste of money. Thanks again , Art