PDA

View Full Version : Winter Grill Cover Questions

mjammer
01-16-2006, 04:31
What is a safe air temperature range for using the winter cover? The manual says below freezing I believe but was wondering what is realistic. The reason is I am going on a couple day trip soon and the temp is supposed to fluctuate from mid-40's to the 20's and I was hoping to not have to take it on and off. This will be interstate driving without any trailer.

Another one is whether it is safe to leave the cover on going through and car wash?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

crafty
01-16-2006, 06:15
With the temps and conditions you have described, I would have no hesitation in leaving the cover on all the time. Around my area the temps have gone from 48 degrees (8 cel) to -2 (-20 Cel) in the last two days. I run both covers from the end of November until some time in March and that includes highway and everything (including carwashes) and in 5 years I have never had a problem with overheating or any other trouble.
Leave them on and enjoy the ride!! :D :D :D

mjammer
01-16-2006, 08:44
Thanks. That is what I figured. I'll just keep a watch on temps and if they climb higher than normal, I'll pull it off.

jbplock
01-16-2006, 08:52
Dittos to Crafty's post.. http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

I was traveling this past weekend with temps ranging from the 50's to single digits - in one day :eek: :eek: . Had my Winter Front (http://community.webshots.com/photo/72251092/103358005jJjteT) on with no problems. I've found that it can be left on even with temps in the mid to low 60's with out any problems.. Also, when temps are below 20degF, I notice a slight improvement (higher temps) with the bumper holes covered.

smile.gif

Onebigcanuck
01-16-2006, 10:38
I leave the grill cover on from December to the end of March. I do both highway and intown driving and have never had a heating problem. The tempature here is Calgary can be -20F in the morning and 50F at noon, chinooks are a real treat.

;)

crazyracer17
01-16-2006, 11:53
I HAVE HAD MY GRILLE COVER ON SINCE NOVEMBER AND
TEMPS HAVE BEEN ANYWHERE FROM 0 TO 55 DEGREES
NO PROBLEMS.

Jim Brzozowski
01-17-2006, 10:00
I ran mine for about two weeks around Christmas time, when the temps got up to near 60 I noticed the trans fluid temp. running a little higher than usual, but the engine never has shown more than the norm. Took it off after that, been really mild here after the first of the year.

mjammer
01-17-2006, 12:56
Thanks all. We'll see how it goes, don't expect any issues.

jbplock - I wish I had found your Cloud cover before I got mine as that is sharp.

jbplock
01-17-2006, 15:10
Mark,
Have a safe trip ... ;)

WNFD
01-17-2006, 15:56
Do these trucks really need the cover. My truck came with it and I have yet to use it. The other day it was below zero and while my truck never got all the way to its normal operating temp, I still have to keep the heat to setting 1. The truck always has great heat.

mjammer
01-17-2006, 20:32
One direction down with no problems. 3 hours in 39 degree rainy weather :mad: Tomorrow is snow and Thursday may hit 50, LOL!

jb - where did you get the grill cover you have. I may have to upgrade.

As far as usefulness, the cover definitely helps speed up the warm up. Without it, my truck temps barely get off the peg on my 6 mile drive to work but with it, the engine is almost at temp and the tranny is climbing with real heat coming from the heater. I am also seeing a little better local mileage this winter over last without it.

jbplock
01-18-2006, 01:11
Mark,
For info on Stainless Steel Winter covers see

Driveshaft
01-21-2006, 10:38
I know here in the south we don't really need the cover, but it does help speed up warm up. We are having a typical winter, low's (when we get cold) 29 to 31 with high's 60 to 80. I put mine on 1st of Dec. and when it gets up to the high 50's I just roll up a corner of cover. If I don't do this the fan kicks on quite a bit. My drive to work at 5am can see wind chills in 20's so it does help to warm up faster.

Claven
01-23-2006, 10:12
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the main reason for the winter front is to prevent the trans cooler from gelling up and overheating the trans, this was a problem when it gets real cold like -40, I'm a witness to it happening.