PDA

View Full Version : floor of dash selector 4x4??

tennykimble
01-10-2006, 17:50
does anybody know if the 4x4 floor shifter is mechanical, or is it eletronic (like the 4x4 selector on the dash) i'd prefer a mechanical if at all possible thanks guys!! :D

crafty
01-11-2006, 09:03
I have the floor shifter in my truck and as far as I can remember it is a mechanical setup. Because I insisted on the 6 speed I had to take the floor shift but that is what I wanted all along. It has worked very well for me. :D :D :D

Lawnboy
01-11-2006, 13:08
Manual linkage for shifting the T-case, but electronic for engaging the front axle.

tennykimble
01-11-2006, 17:15
what do u mean eletronic engaging the front axle?
the only unit to control the power going to the front axle is the transfer case right? i mean its not like it has lock outs?! when the front wheels are spinning the drive line is spinning all the way into the transfercase. :confused: thanks kenny

rob@rone.ca
01-12-2006, 08:28
I know even my old 93 4x4 had an electric system for engaging the front axle. It was a 6.5 td standard shift, with manual transfer case.

Reason I know this is I was stuck one time, and had to crawl under and plug the wire leading from the transfer to the front axle back in to get myself out!!

I think that takes the place of the old manual hubs - Front wheels freewheel until transfer is engaged, then hubs lock electrically

DmaxMaverick
01-12-2006, 11:22
Originally posted by kenny:
what do u mean eletronic engaging the front axle?
the only unit to control the power going to the front axle is the transfer case right? i mean its not like it has lock outs?! when the front wheels are spinning the drive line is spinning all the way into the transfercase. :confused: thanks kenny The front end has an axle disconnect. It disconnects the axles from the carrier. If your front shaft is "locked" to the axle when in 2wd, you have issues. It may spin with the axle under normal internal friction, but you should be able to turn it by hand (or stop it from turning) in 2wd.

Just to confirm, you do have an electric/mechanical transfer case, correct? If we are talking about a 2500(non HD) or 1500 with AutoTrac, the conditions will be different.