PDA

View Full Version : Boost control

dieseldummy
12-30-2003, 12:00
How exactly would a person go about fooling the boost sensor on a 96 GMC with no egr? I searched and have found no specific directions. From what I understand it involves wiring an ohm pot into the wiring for the boost sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Justin

AndyL
12-30-2003, 12:14
If you don't wish to mess with the wiring yourself www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) sell a complete plug in adjustable boost controller for about $65.

phughes69
12-30-2003, 12:57
I am curious about this too. Didn't someone come up with a schematic and parts list for this mod before. I like to tinker with my truck and enjoy making stuff like this for it.

AndyL
12-30-2003, 13:01
There was either a Featured Article or a message post with fairly complete instructions, I can't remember. Do some searching on the subject you may find it.

whatnot
12-30-2003, 13:26
It is in the 2000 feature article reprints page 63.

dieseldummy
12-31-2003, 17:05
Could someone please enlighten me?

freddys
12-31-2003, 18:02
This is a Post from Bobbie Martin

I'm not guaranteeing this will work, but you guys with computers & turbo masters may want to try this. According to my reference book, the PCM is looking for .8 to 3.9 volts from the boost sensor (it sends +5 volts out). All the boost sensor does is change resistance according to manifold pressure. So, if you cut the gray & light green wire off the boost sensor and soldered a suitable resistor across them, say maybe something around 2000 - 3000 ohms, the computer should be happy. You might have to experiment with the proper resistance to get it right. The trick would be getting a setting within the tolerance of the PCM.

If you are trying to decide between the computer turbo control & the turbo master, keep this in mind. The PCM method uses the vacuum pump, related hoses, several sensors, wiring harness, a electrically operated vacuum solenoid and a vacuum operated waste gate controller. That is an awful lot of stuff just to operate the wastegate. The Turbo master uses a rod and a spring. Can the PCM control the wastegate more accurately? Sure. But you have to ask yourself, does the simplicity (and inherent reliability factor) of the TM outweigh the advantages of the PCM control?

--------------------
Bobbie Martin - 1995 Suburban 1500 6.5TD 2WD DB2 Mech Injection
mini1275@bellsouth.net
http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/PWP-DieselSuburban