PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case oxidization in the salt belt

letsgo
10-14-2003, 03:44
This is for magnesium transfer cases exposed to road salt and the ocean salt air.

A year ago I noticed on my one year old truck, all of the exterior bolts on the MAGNESIUM transfer case were covered in an oxide crust, that could be scratched off with my finger nail. I posted this observation and requested help in locating an anti-oxide spray to prevent the steel and magnesium reaction, I figured that within three years all the bolts on the transfer case would have eaten into their contact surfaces and thus destroying the cases structural integrity.
I received a number of positive replies and wound up purchasing a spray on anti rust inhibitor (LPS 3 heavy duty rust inhibitor), It is used in the aircraft industry at $8 a can.
This product has stopped all of the corrosion on the transfer case.

Hope this helps some one else

WillowCreekStable
10-14-2003, 05:27
Good point. I was noticing this when I was under the truck this weekend. Do you have a local source? I work in Stoney Creek....

77TransAm
10-14-2003, 05:28
In my experience, just about anything made by LPS is among the best (and most expensive) you can get. The shipyards used LPS products when we were laid up there, and we used to always try to snag as much of it as possible to save for future use. I haven't had any luck finding it except at industrial supply places since I got out, though. Where did you purchase yours?

SoMnDMAX
10-14-2003, 05:48
77 T/A- Fastenal is a good source for LPS products. www.fastenal.com (http://www.fastenal.com)

letsgo
10-14-2003, 07:37
WillowCreekStable, LEVENS air craft supplies, is located north of the Toronto International Airport, on Derry Road East between Dixie Road and Airport Road.

Good luck

Viking
10-14-2003, 15:32
My local TSC store carries LPS products.

JimWilson
10-15-2003, 10:20
What precisely is LPS? Is that some type of sprayed on coating?

77TransAm
10-15-2003, 10:46
LPS is the brand name of a company that makes a variety of chemicals; everything from cutting/tapping fluids to corrosion inhibitors to degreasers, spray lubricants, etc.

WillowCreekStable
10-16-2003, 13:18
letsgo

I'm familiar with Levens. Thx.