PDA

View Full Version : cooling system question...

Alli-max
02-24-2003, 08:39
How bad is that stuff you add to your cooling system to stop a slow leak? Can we do it on the dmaxes with dexcool? I am thinking it is the head gasket, but will certainly get a pressure test so it isnt a simple hose. Just wanted to know my options...

hoot
02-24-2003, 09:06
But before you panic, don't assume the worst. Take your time and see if you find a leak. There are lot's of external coolant lines.... turbo, front to rear oil cooler, there's a little hose behind the fan pulley...... look hard. I also wonder what happens with the water pump. Does it leak?

Do you have moisture in your exhaust? Put a mirror at your tailpipe. Does it get wet quick?

100,000 miles. No warranty left? Is there a trend here? Juice and 100,000 miles = headgasket?

Alli, if you see no physical leak, you don't have much choice I think. Have you ever worked on engines? If so, you should be able to do the job yourself after a lot of initial research.

Sorry to hear about it.

Alli-max
02-24-2003, 09:55
yes I have done some engine work, but MAINLY on small engines (outboard head gaskets, etc.).

It is getting a pressure test AS I TYPE at the dealership. If it is a hose, then I will do that myself. Hoping it will only involve pulling the belt and the fan. I dont think the pulley comes off the water pump, but will see as I get there.

As for the juice and 100K.... I really havent abused the truck in level IV that much, and drive in level I 95% of the time and still drive easy at that setting (fuel is NOOOOT cheap these days!)

mackin
02-24-2003, 19:59
I know you guys are a WEE bit slow in Texas but don't leave us hanging....What's the diagnosis??

MAC :D :D :D

Alli-max
02-25-2003, 11:56
well, I pulled the belt last night and replaced the small 5-7" hose right above the water pump. It was SWOLEN quite a bit. I havent driven but 3 miles, but will be heading to Little Rock this afternoon to see some customers as soon as the roads melt a bit (we Texans and ice mix like diesel fuel and stock racor filters :D ).

I had some water collecting there, and HOPE that was it. If not, will look at phase II. BTW... The dealer... err... stealership could NOT pressure test (no equipment) ???

Alli-max
02-27-2003, 17:41
nope, That wasnt it!! :mad: :mad:

hoot
02-27-2003, 18:44
Next move??

How much are you adding and is there any dripping at all?

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

mackin
02-27-2003, 20:20
Why would you assume head gasket?? I would think you would know buy now if it were....

Tailpipe or crankcase or overflow tank, it's going to show some where.......

=&gt;http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MIT-4520.html

Less then a Hour labor at the dealer.....

MAC :D :D :D

Black Dog
02-28-2003, 06:53
Injector cup seal?