PDA

View Full Version : Need 2500 Brake info

EXPSD
04-19-2005, 02:49
Recently I was discussing 2500 brake replacement with a mechanic. He was says brake replacement is difficult and very costly. He half joking said, trade the truck before replacement is needed. I am also wondering what the average replacement mileage might be, I realize this will very a lot!

More Power
04-19-2005, 10:45
Pads are cheap and rotors can be turned on the axle. Seems a complete brake job shouldn't be too out of line with other vehicles.

MP

knotty buoy
04-20-2005, 08:05
120,000 miles for my 1st Brake Job on my 2001 K2500HD. I did pads and rotors on all 4 corners.

1. Make sure you know the rear hub size before going to the Auto parts store - there are two sizes for the rear rotors.

2. Buy a T55 torx bit to remove the rear calipers, the T60 used for other GM vehicles is too big and if you have a torx set, it probably only does to T50.

3. Buy a 18MM box end extention for your 1/2 in drive breaker bar. The caliper bracket mounting bolts have locktite on them are difficult to remove with a wrench and there is not enough room for breaker bar and socket (or air tool) between the caliper bracket and knuckle.

4. The rotors may need some assistance before they will come off the hub (the bigger the hammer the better). They did come off easier that the rotors on my 1997 K2500 did.

KB out

HD=HossDiesel
04-23-2005, 20:10
I replaced mine at about 36k. Cost less than $600 at a local mechanic. Pads ended up not needing to be replaced but I had some heat stress cracks in the rotors. So I replaced all 4 rotors and pads. Note that the early wear and cracks likely came from excessive stupidity of putting on Smoke shows for the local Tavern patrons! I've got about 20K on this set and I'm not even Half way through them. The Rotors and Pads on these trucks really are impressive. tongue.gif