PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had a ZF clutch repaired in Phoenix?

DeepVee
10-13-2003, 10:36
My ZF is making all kinds of noise now, 31,000 miles. It certainly sounds like my flywheel is going out. The problem is that my local dealer is reluctant to open it up and thought GM was no longer using Dual Mass Flywheels. If I can't get resolution from this dealer then I'll take it to Phoenix. I bought it at Courtesy but can anyone recommend a dealer in Phoenix who may have experience working with the ZF clutch or tranny?

[ 10-13-2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: DeepVee ]

Jelisfc
10-14-2003, 06:41
No but what kind of noise? Mine's in today for unrelated stuff but I took a tech for a ride in mine last night. When the trans is warmed up if I let off the gas in 5th from 2000 rpm to 1700 it howls like a bad bearing. We'll see if the tech can get it to repeat for their tranny expert.

DeepVee
10-14-2003, 09:24
Mine started with gear noise in 4th, 5th & 6th. The trans was quiet while cruising but I'd get gear noise through the shifter if the drivetrain was loaded up. My gear noise has gotten progressively worse and now happens in all gears and while cruising. I've always assumed it was my dual mass flywheel (DMF) going bad since the DMF's main purpose is to keep vibrations out of the transmission thus eliminating gear noise. My dealer is now telling me that I do not have a DMF in my 8.1L/ZF truck. Anybody know if this is true? Does an 8.1L/ZF truck have a DMF or a 1-piece flywheel?

Anyway, I now have a new noise that has me concerned. To me it sounds like my input shaft is going bad. It sounds like a bad bearing and it's happening in all gears at lower RPM's. Sounds kind of like the ker-klunk you hear when shutting these trucks off in neutral but it's happening while the truck is in motion.

Hopefully I'll find out soon, the truck goes in tomorrow. I'm sure they'll find the problem, I'm just concerned that they've never had to trouble shoot a 6-speed before.

Jelisfc
10-14-2003, 10:00
I hear ya with not dealers not having experience with these. My main concern is to have documentation way before 36K so if they don't find a fix and it does go I have something to go back on. Right now it's just a concern. Something I can live with.

MaxACL
10-14-2003, 14:09
My flywheel gave out with NO warning. It just wouldn't go into gear. I have since learned that GM will warrant the flywheel with the engines 100,000 mile warranty. It's even in the warranty book. Too late now and I'm out the $600 bucks. :(

I did learn that others are experiencing some problems with their ZFs and its not just GM. Fords have the same transmission, flywheel, moving parts etc.

Get it fixed now, or you can get it fixed later after a tow job. Good luck.

Mike

Jelisfc
10-15-2003, 05:07
Well I wasn't impressed last night when they said again nothing was wrong but only drove it 3 miles. Friday afternoon I'm off a half day so I'll see what the service manager says.

DeepVee
10-16-2003, 08:27
I went for a ride this morning with the trans tech from the dealership. He agreed that there is a problem in the transmission, probably a bearing. They're supposed to tear into it today. Should be interesting to see what they find.