PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Clutches for the ZF Six Speed??

SoMnDMAX
02-24-2003, 01:20
Ok... new truck time is right around the corner, and there's about a 75% chance the new truck will NOT be equipped with the Allison.

So, my question is this- has anyone released an aftermarket clutch for the ZF equipped trucks?

Colorado Kid
02-25-2003, 14:00
The silence is deaffening......

I've kept my eyes open and I don't believe a heavier clutch/flywheel combination exists.

Problem is something close to 95% of D-maxes have Allisons, so the aftermarket isn't interseted in us handshakers yet. That's the bad news.

The good news is that the flywheel seems to be weaker than the clutch...this is good because the flywheel is included in the engine parts list for the 100,000 mile engine warranty (the clutch is not).

I keep waiting, but for now the 6 speed is not noticably more able to handle torque than the Allison.

SoMnDMAX
02-25-2003, 23:58
Rich, someone has to offer a clutch, you would think. The only problem I could see for the manufacturers is sales volume- not too many hand shakers have been sold and even less will require a beefed up clutch...

I've got a suspicion that the aftermarket clutch thing could be an expensive one-off venture for those of us who would want to do the upgrade.

Dodge folks - who's good, who's bad as far as aftermarket clutches for diesels? South Bend? Centerforce? I could see South Bend accomodating us before Centerforce would.

On a side note, how high is the clutch pedal from the floor? I'm 6'6", and I'm wondering if there's a comfortable amount of leg room for me to operate the clutch. With semi-bad knees, the more ergonomic the pedals, the better. I can't find one close enough to test drive- the closest lot stock hand shaker is a four hour drive, that is, unless Jelisfc lets me drive his '03.... tongue.gif :D

Matt

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: SoMnDMAX ]</p>

Jelisfc
02-26-2003, 13:50
SoMNDMAX, If we can find a place to meet you certainly can test drive mine. I'll be in Mexico on vacation next week.

As for the clutch. I'm 5'9" and when I stop I run the pedal to the floor. It's easier on my leg even though today's clutches feel like stepping on a overripe plum. My clutch releases a couple inches off the floor. The clutch pedal sits about an inch higher than the brake pedal released and it takes about four inches of travel to disengage. With your height it might be a concern since we all know driving with the seat back too far decreases performance :D :D :D

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: Jelisfc ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
02-27-2003, 02:49
Jelisfc, please drop me an e-mail (addy. in signature). We'll have to hook up sometime in the next month.

As for the performance drop if the seat's too far back, I drive with the seat all the way forward. Sometimes it's hard to get my fat a** behind the wheel, but the extra 50-60 HP the forward position provides is more than worth the inconvenience. ;) :D

I'm working on an interface so the ECM "THINKS" the seat is fully forward, but it is actually moved all the way back. :cool: Figuring out how to modify the SPS (Seat Position Sensor) signal has prooved to be QUITE difficult. :( :mad:

Matt

Bobcat698
02-27-2003, 07:03
Isn't the ZF-6 the exact tranny they are using in the Fords?
If so, the FOUR WHEELER magazine has a test mule with a PSD 7.3L & they put a BANKS powerpack on it.. Within 6 months the clutch was TOAST & they put a new one on.

I could maybe find that article & let you know which one they put on, it should be the same kit for the Chevy right?

Let me know.

Garrett

Swayse
02-27-2003, 08:06
I would go South Bend, I had one in my 01 Dodge, good clutch and good customer service. I called South Bend a few months back, they didn't have any upgraded clutches at the time and had no idea when they were gonna have any for the Chevy 6 speed. I guess not enough 6 speeds out there to mess with.

PEANUTGRWR
02-27-2003, 08:16
SWAYSE!!!!!! DONT TELL ME YOU DONE THE UNTHINKABLE!??????!!! AND GOT RID OF YOUR DMAX :confused: OH WELL I GUESS YOU GOT TIRED OR WINNING EVERY RACE OR SOMETHING tongue.gif ANY LUCK ON GETTING RID OF THE JUICE YET?

Jelisfc
02-27-2003, 11:12
SoMnDMAX, I'll send you an e-mail after I get back.

Steve

Colorado Kid
02-27-2003, 12:39
Bobcat,
Thanks for the thought, but those who know say the flywheel and clutch on the D-max looks different than on the Fords. Too bad it isn;t that easy. The six speed in our trucks is almost identical to the one in the Fords, differences bieng that the Ford version has a lube pump and a cooler and the GM version has an extra bushing in the linkage...apparently to make them harder to shift when they're new! Bell-housing pattern is most likely also different, but I haven't unbolted either one to check. ;)

Y'all get out there and buy some 6 speeds will ya, so's we can get some aftermarket parts!

SoMnDMAX
02-27-2003, 12:42
Sounds good. Thanks Steve!!

Garret, even though GM and Ford are using the same ZF six speed, they are not the same. I can only assume the input shafts are different, the flywheel bolt pattern is different, and there's differences in the throwout bearing assy. as well. I would highly doubt the Ford clutch would work on the Dmax.

Matt

CPMac632
02-27-2003, 17:47
The input shaft splines are the same but that is about it (with the exception of the 6.0 powerstroke because I haven't looked at one of those yet).

JMJORDAN
02-27-2003, 18:11
My 02 GMC Crewcab Longbed DMAX/ZF6speed has cooler on the transmission. It is mounted in front of the fuel tank. My buddys 02 GMC Extened Cab Shortbed 8100/6speed has one to. I have heard a bunch of people say their truck does not have a cooler. Why is this? Did only some 6speed trucks get a cooler? Is the cooler I see for something else? If so what for because it sure looks like it is hooked up to the tranny?

stretch
02-27-2003, 19:26
I think the cooler you are referring to is for the fuel.

CPMac632
02-27-2003, 21:53
My cooler is hooked to the fuel system.

sdaver
02-27-2003, 23:50
hey cpm.......I got 88 wrangler with a amc 406 stroker motor and a nv 4500 from a dodge........took a stock clutch to reliner and had it rebulit for a smaller flywheel and the used a much better than stock clutch material(kevlar i belive)was not real expensive $150 or less to rebuild the off the shelf disk........the company was one that rebuids brakes and clutches for big trucks.......might be worth a try?.......mine has held up great 5yrs of major abuse...... :D dave

CPMac632
02-27-2003, 23:57
I got the clutch to hold then the flywheel broke in two. Now i'm waiting on a flywheel.

Swayse
02-28-2003, 07:55
Peanutgrwr,

Yep, I bought a Dodge again. That's what you get for cruising dealers. Yea, my Dmax was a fire breathing farm truck but, the tranny was ****ing me off more and more every day. I looked into getting a 6 speed Dmax, counldn't find any to test drive. Then I drove the Dodge and it felt like home again. It made the wife happy, she is a big Dodge fan, now she will ride will me without complaining.

Still got the Hot Juice, I'll sell it for 800 if you or your dad want it. I'll take it to Dolaca March 7th if you wanna try it on your truck. I'll be running my Dodge stock, hoping to break into the high 17's. :D

Heavy Duty Neil
03-07-2003, 12:30
Swayse, sounds like a sweet truck, I want one identical to it (I'll get the Sport package, that way we won't be twinkies :D ).

Let us know what you run @ Dolaca.

johnpugh
04-10-2003, 20:51
I had been watching this thread with interest because I too have a hand-shaker. I went over to dial-a-clutch and sent them an email asking if they have a clutch to the GM ZF box and here is there response....

John

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We offer the original clutch set. Your cost is $189.96 for the disc, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing and clutch alignment tool. I'm still checking about the slave, as it is internal. We also offer the dual mass flywheel. Go to www.dialaclutch.com/dac-demo and search under GMC 6.6. This is the same one from the dealer. LuK sells this to GM.

Thanks
Paul
Dial-A-Clutch.com

... I went to the website address they mentioned in the email and did the search and voila there is the clutch.

Maybe our dreams for the aftermarket to step up have come true.....

Later....

ON EDIT: You have to search using GMC as the make, using Chevrolet will not return you any results. That's one for GMC :D

[ 04-10-2003: Message edited by: JMPDMax ]</p>

Allison Jettester
04-21-2003, 08:57
John,
I went to the dialaclutch.com page and they list it at $425.99 vice your $189.96. How do you get the big discount? The price for an OEM type clutch on their webpage is the reason I didn't by a clutch set from them. I can get a Centerforce set for my Corvette ZF-6 for a hundred $ cheaper.

Joe

[ 04-21-2003: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]</p>

johnpugh
04-21-2003, 13:01
Joe:

You are correct on the price. I just went back to their site and they are $400+ for the replacement part. Maybe he was quoting the price for a disk only....

:confused:

Later...

Allison Jettester
04-22-2003, 07:50
Thanks for clearing that up, John. I guess I'll order the Center Force.

Joe