PDA

View Full Version : Snow Plow Prep Package

thechevyhdman
02-24-2003, 00:48
Ive had a horrible week gents... One of our 6.5s crapped out after my father drove over a balance box to a tractor....Through the oil pan...didnt realize it.....siezed motor.Other 6.5 is sounding like a machine gun getting fired off inside a tin can.....thats getting deep sixed this week. Anyways I went to the local GMC dealership to check out a new cab and chassis. The salesmen put everything I needed down in the computer but it wouldnt allow a Snow Plow Prep Package to go through. He said its not available with an 84 inch cab to axle length with a regular cab truck. Is this true? Also can ayone provide me with a number where I can call GM on that question and some other warranty questions. Our trucks have a belt driven pump off the crank and was wondering if there are any warraty issues with engines if you have them. TIA Bill

IndigoDually
02-24-2003, 14:43
I believe that the only way to get the plow prep package is to have a reg cab p/u or c/c. GM won't give it with a x-cab or crew due to front axle over loading. The longer than 60" cab-axle is the equivalent to having an extended cab.

As for the crank driven pump, I think I heard of some issues a while ago but I don't know if they were just hearsay or not.

Good Luck,

John

technician
02-24-2003, 17:09
ChevHD,

I've got an ext. cab 3500 cab & chassis I did not order the sno plow package but ordered the heavy duty ? package then ordered off-road for the skid plates. I have a 9' Fisher 825#'s now plowing my second snow season with it and no problems. I replied to your Now I have to buy a Ford post too. Try to stick to the Gm's if you can.... :D

JimWilson
02-24-2003, 19:23
My truck has the snow plow prep, and it's a CC.

GM Smitty
02-24-2003, 20:32
First I heard of a CC with snow plow package (from what I understand, you get most of the snow plow prep items with the Duramax engine anyway). I plow with my CC/LB, and yes I know I'm not supposed to and I'm risking warranty issues. Truck has been fine for two years now. I weighed the front end with the plow on...came in about 5250# (600# counter balance). Front axle is rated for 4800#. In my opinion, the extra 450# is not a big deal for the short amount of time the plow is on each year (I only hook up when plowing).
Josh

Maverick
02-25-2003, 03:46
The only extra items on a Duramax/Allison plow truck is the 130 amp alt and the aux light switch. The bars are the same and you already have the tranny cooler with the Allison. Nobody uses GMs plow light harness anyway. Most plow mfg's have there own light harnesses. I would order what you want and put a plow on it.

rtquig
02-25-2003, 14:40
I was wondering what the snow plow prep package had over the HD/tow package. I don't know if I want to put on a plow or not, but I remember chevy saying it would void the warranty if you put on a plow without their prep package.

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: rtquig ]</p>

JimWilson
02-25-2003, 21:53
IIRC, the plow prep added a tranny cooler and guage, roof marker lights, a 130 amp alternator and a wiring harness in the front of the truck for a plow. Might have been more stuff, but I can't think of what it was at the moment.

dieseldealer
02-26-2003, 08:27
You can get the snow plow prep on the short bed ext. cab also.

Jim Wilson, Is your truck a Duramax?

JimWilson
02-27-2003, 15:29
I wish -- mines only the 6 liter.