PDA

View Full Version : Wind Buffetting on Crew Cab Rear Windows

mjammer
04-14-2005, 09:14
I have a '05 2500 HD CC and when a rear passenger window is opened at highway speeds, a severe buffetting occurs. Yesterday when it occured, it was severe enough to make the passenger seat vibrate and it causes enough pressure change to hurt your ears for much more than a short time. Any ideas? If you open a second window far enough, it seems to go away. It also only seems to occur with the rear windows.

Thanks for any help.

White Truck
04-14-2005, 19:17
What you are experiencing is a normal condition. It is caused by the low pressure area that develops along the side of the vehicle as air passes it. The rear windows open cause a pressure pulse to occur in and out of the passenger compartment. Any vehicle with only the rear windows open will experience this to some degree. The interior size and shape, as well as the airflow pattern along the side influence this.

madmatt
04-14-2005, 19:28
think you CC is bad....try that in a new Pontiac G6 :eek: :eek: . Scared the sh!t out of me! I've never heard anything that loud in a car in my life. I thought my ear drums were seriously going to blow out.

mjammer
04-15-2005, 04:12
"Normal Condition" - I find this one hard to accept. The first time I heard it, I thought I had a blow-out as the truck was shaking so bad. I was trying different windo combo's yesterday and itoccured even if both rear windows were open 1/2 way. I have to have a front and rear window open to offset it. It is real annoying as I like riding with a rear windows open to cool off the truck/get fresh air without alot of wind noise up front and I can't do it now nor can my kids open the rear windows when they get warm riding back there.

I thought there were some sort of "valves" behind the rear seat to the outside to the balance out some of these pressures changes.

jackrabbit
04-15-2005, 05:33
The same thing happens in my friends F250 CC. In his case if he opens either the driver side/ or passenger side window more than half way he gets the same affect.

The only thing I could think of to help this is that I have seen a plastic piece that is added to the outside driver/passenger window frame that is suppose to cut down on wind noise with the windows open.

That might break the air flow enough to help this out when the rear windows are open. I have never used them though and I don't know if it would work.

HD=HossDiesel
04-23-2005, 20:16
My truck is the same way you have to open another window to equalize pressure. I find that opposite corners work best. I had a 99 tahoe that was way worse if you just cracked a rear the noise and pressure change would hurt your ears, almost sounded like helicopter rotor. Crack front window and the noise and pressure go away. I also have to crack a rear when ever my window is down in warm weather or It blows right in my ear.

cday
05-09-2005, 07:35
I have the same problem with my 2003 2500hd cc.
and my 96 tahoe

chipper
05-09-2005, 07:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
think you CC is bad....try that in a new Pontiac G6 . Scared the sh!t out of me! I've never heard anything that loud in a car in my life. I thought my ear drums were seriously going to blow out.
--------------------------------------------------
Also in F*rd Crown Victoria

Jim Brzozowski
05-09-2005, 08:24
My old 93 cc dully did that too. It really is the differential pressure. Your bug deflector may make it more pronounced. Mine did. It's deflecting the wind upward making the negitive pulse worse on the sides. If you've ever closely observed the movement of the interior fabric when someone else is driving and you are sitting in the back it'll almost scare you. After seeing how much buffeting the interior takes I deceided to always run with the windows up and let the vent do the job if no AC or Heat is needed. I no longer run with windows down.

JimWilson
05-14-2005, 08:24
My truck does the same thing.

mhagie
05-14-2005, 16:32
04 VW Golf same thing, have to have front window cracked a tad along with rear open about 3" or it will pound your eardrums into oblivion.
Merle