PDA

View Full Version : Hey mdrag

bearman
12-10-2002, 18:50
mdrag
How do you like your 19.5" tires? How do they do in mud and snow? I have orderd a 19.5" set up now I have to figure out what tires to get. I do a lot of highway running, but I am quite often in mud, snow and off road stuff. Any suggestions.
Cheers
Bear

Maverick
12-10-2002, 19:26
Mdrag and I have the same tire except mine are G rated 14 ply vs. his F rated 12 ply. I think for these tires (Michelin XDE-MS 225/70-19.5) are not so good in the snow. They just don't get any bite on slippery surfaces and snow. One problem is the sidewall of this tire size is shorter than than the stock 215/85-16 and doesn't flex as much to varying surfaces. PSI is higher also which will account for a stiffer sidewall also. My next tire I will try the Bridgestone M724's. The Michelins do sling some mud though. As well as rocks. Lots of rocks. I dread the people behind you or oncoming traffic when you come off a gravel road.

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

mdrag
12-10-2002, 22:10
bearman,

I like the 19.5" conversion and would do it again. I've not had the chance to drive in snow since putting on the Michelin XDE M/S, so I can't give you any advice on this right now - but will likely find out in a few weeks...Since Maverick lives in Alaska - he's got the best snow advice....

If you are looking for M+S tires, then the GY G-124, General LMT-450, Yokohama TY-303, and Bridgestone M-724F are your other choices in the 225/70 19.5" size. I can't give you any advice on which is best with my limited experience....

Check out:

www.ricksontruck.com

Choose the TIRES tab across the top of the page. Pick the tire size your interested in, and you will see pics of these tires. The Bridgestone is not listed under the 225/70 selection - but it was available in this size. A few more tire choices are available in the 245 size. Good luck.

bearman
12-10-2002, 23:46
Thanks for all your help guys.
I have been thinking about going to a Toyo M608Z 245-70R19.5.Will they fit? Are they a good tire?
Cheers
Bear

Steve Joneli
12-11-2002, 08:11
Bear, my TOYOs are a different size and model but I love them. The smoothest and quietest truck tire I have ever used.

deadlyman
12-12-2002, 21:19
Hey bearman
I run the 245/70/19.5 LRH M/S Michelin I love them good traction in mud and sand wich we have a lot of down here. They fit real tight look at my pic's I show the clearence there. I did turn the tortion bars five turns after the pic for more clearence still a little rub lock to lock on the inner fenderwell when I hit a bump or hole but not all the time.

[ 12-12-2002: Message edited by: deadlyman ]</p>

Maverick
12-12-2002, 21:40
Well we finally got some snow to plow. Got 4" yesterday and expecting 2-5" tonite. While plowing yesterday I could here some rubbing while at full lock with the plow up. The extra weight must just be enough to cause it to touch. Its not bad at all but just enough to hear it. I didn't get a chance to see where it was touching. Just some advice if you plan to plow with these rims and BIGGER tires. I have Timbren load boosters in front and got my bars cranked a couple turns.