PDA

View Full Version : Locker and the lack of

Vette Racer
02-23-2003, 01:54
I thought a locker was suppose to be like a posi in most situations. Well, guess what. If you have a traction problem with a two wheel drive truck get ready, you might as well have a open legged rear end. I was stuck the other night and the locker really sucked. The only way you could get it to engage was to spin the tires up real good which led to getting the truck buried just that much more. I can't imagine why you would want a locker. Guess you should buy a 4 wheel drive!

MichaelR
02-23-2003, 07:19
Sorry to hear about your experience, it truly sucks to get stuck. Been there and done that!

So the question is Ladies and Gentlemen: What lockers (Detroit, ARB, etc) are available for both the front and rear ends of the 2500HD?

Sorry Eaton (OEM) does not count, it is a limited slip diff.

Thank you,
Michael

FirstDiesel
02-23-2003, 08:39
I think if you read some of the posts here you might see you did exactly the wrong thing. I think it has been stated that the locker doesn't lock over 20 MPH. I would think the trick is to go slow and not spin the wheels up.

Any other ideas about this situation???

mtomac
02-23-2003, 08:43
Eaton's Elocker is available for the front axle and will be available for the rear axle next year.

bluenote
02-23-2003, 08:48
About a month after I bought my truck, we took the fifth wheel for deer camp. The ground was wet as we left, and I started slipping going up a hill on my hunting property. I got a real bad jerking motion, but did make it up the hill. I spoke with my friend (a chevy service manager), and he told me to put the tranny in 2nd and not to gun it too much the next time. We went up hunting again about 5 weeks later, this time with almost 8 inches of snow on the ground. Leaving camp with the empty truck, and then with the 5er, I followed his advice and walked right out. The first tire would slip for a moment, then it would lock up and move with virtually no more slipping.

MadDuraMax
02-23-2003, 10:04
VetteRacer,

The G80 works as those who have posted above stated. The G80 senses wheel slip, engages a locking mechanism via clutches. The rear end will then remain "locked" until the G80 senses wheel speeds above 20mph, then it unlocks! The G80 is in reality a hybrid differential, neither a LS nor a true locker. This was done to enhance the safety of driving on side slope situations where having the rear "locked" could cause the truck to slide sideways quite quickly.

Go to http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm for complete information.

In a two wheel drive truck that has as much front weight as ours, taking it easy is the rule with a G80!

Mark

GMCTRUCK
02-23-2003, 10:45
It does take some wheel speed from one wheel to engage the locker. Supposedly its spec'd to lock within 100 rpm. Well guess what, 100 rpm of tire speed is moving right along. Giving that one tire a chance to really bury itself and when it does lock your not gonna win any awards for driving finese. At least they do finally lock. I pulled my partner out of a snow pile when we were plowing last week because his F350 with factory limited slip had one tire on ice and one on pavement and the Ford clutches are so conservative it wouldn't hold power to the one on pavement.

MadDuraMax
02-23-2003, 11:14
Hmm..

Ok, so let's guess at a 30" tire diameter, at 100 RPM. This calculates out to just over 5mph for the G80 to lock. Unlock at 20 mph gives about a 15mph "window" of locked operation.

Let's make that take it REALLY easy with the G80 and 2wd!

Mark

a5150nut
02-23-2003, 11:15
Then there is the poor mans locker. Add a little parking brake untill you get the other tire to pull.....

pinehill
02-23-2003, 23:58
Hmmm, I thought that the Eaton locked when it saw a DIFFERENCE in the wheel speeds of 100 rpm. If that's the case, then the truck could be at rest, with one wheel spinning, and the locker would operate. :confused:

Vette Racer
02-24-2003, 09:32
As I said earlier, mine would sit and spin trying to come off idle, actually would spin while idling with one set of duals. If I spun the wheels faster, then the locker would ingage but this took away my ability to try and ease it out without spinning the tires much. I believe the locker worked, just didn't like the way it worked. Guess I'm used to posi's, good strong ones! Thank goodness for the jeep and the 8000 Ramsey. Just had to convince the wife to load up and bring it to me. She thought that was really funny. Thanks to all for the replies. I feel better now. ;) ;)

JimWilson
02-24-2003, 11:37
A 100 RPM difference in wheel speed is really not a lot, so your locker should have engaged fairly quick. That what I've experienced anyway.

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-24-2003, 14:33
I have not had any trouble with my G80 option.

I have left 75-100 feet of rubber with the Hot Juice and when I look I have two nice lines!!I was going faster than 20 mph!!

Can't understand what the deal is???

Keep us posted.

GMC ;)

MadDuraMax
02-24-2003, 16:02
I have heard of stealers adding friction modifiers to the axle lube. When was the last time you changed axle lube and what type was used?

Mark

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-24-2003, 17:43
MadDuraMax

I changed the stock lube out and put in Valvoline Synthetic w/ GL5 rating. I am happy with it.

GMC smile.gif

I changed it out at around 7K miles. I have 19.5K miles now.

[ 02-24-2003: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

DMAXED
02-24-2003, 17:44
I had the dealer do a rear end service about 4k miles ago and now i get more one wheel spin then ever before one tire on pavement one on ice i had to put it in 4wd to get going, this has happend like four times. the dealer used gm lube $28 a qt

MadDuraMax
02-24-2003, 18:48
From the sounds of things a couple of you might need to have mechanical with the G80. I'm not all that hyped up on the $28/quart "Grape Juice" (rather save it for the Hot Juice :D ). As posted on one of the threads, it seems to be manufactured by Texaco available off the shelf at around $5 a quart. I've been running Mobil 1 syn from AV Lubes, the G80 has worked like a champ for me. My driveway has been mostly ice since late December and of course I've played with the G80 quite a bit trying to recreate what I been reading here. Can't do!

This problem sounds more like what I had in my '89 Chevy with the OEM LS. Darn thing wouldn't lock (embrassing having to get towed out of wet grass) regardless of what I tried until I swapped it out.

The Helms manual lists the following possible causes for the G80 "not locking"

- Little or no preload on latching bracket.
- Flyweights on governor assembly are stuck closed.
- The drive teeth on the governor or cam gear assembly are broken.
- Broken clutch plates.

Mark

NoMo
02-24-2003, 20:18
I spent the better part of today digging my 2WD truck out of the clay/mud, 14" of snow and 3+ foot drifts in my 1/10th mile driveway. Pushing from behind, I got a real good look at both back tires & how/when the LS kicked into action. Mine worked exactly as Vette Racer described. By the time the right wheel engaged, the left was buried. However, on dry blacktop, I can leave a solid two-line mark.

Because of the above characteristics, it seems to me that the G80 is more of LS than a locker. If true, then I must (sadly) say that it is working "normally".

GMCTRUCK
02-24-2003, 20:58
Once it locks it is truly locked. I just feel it takes too long to engage. If you take off the line it will lock up and burn rubber locked. The problem is if you break a tire loose once your going above 20mph it won't lock. For instance if I take off in first without spinning the tires and then lay into it and shift into 2nd I can end up frying a one legger if it decides to break loose. Real easy this time of year when the roads are less than clean.

ZFMax
02-25-2003, 18:30
Ok MaDuraMax, how'd you come up with 5mph?

30 inches tire height
x 3.14 gives circumference in inches
x 100 gives inches per minute at 100rpm
x 60 gives inches per hour at 100rpm
/ 12 gives feet per hour at 100rpm
/ 5280 gives miles per hour at 100rpm
-------
8.92 miles per hour

Colorado Kid
02-25-2003, 19:22
/2 gives indicated mph, because the spinning tire is going twice as fast as indicated and the other tire is stationary until the diff locks.
---------
4.5 MPH (indicated, if the speedo was that precise...call it 5 mph)
tongue.gif

That's my guess anyway.

TooMuchMuscle
02-26-2003, 19:13
a little trick from way back... step on the brake and gas at the same time and trick the locker into locking up. it has worked for years.. and right now im looking for a true locker (hopefully detroit)-LATE

glclary
02-26-2003, 20:38
We came in from a camping trip Monday. Our yard was soggy from rain this weekend. Coming up the drive with the camper I have to put the left side in the grass and the right side on the pavement to get around the house.

I felt the left rear spin about 1/2 turn and the
G80 locked and barked the right side tire, then I pulled on around the house. No doubt I would have gotten stuck without it. I was probably going less than walking speed.

I changed the lube at about 5k and put Pennzoil synthetic in it. The truck has 34k on it now. No probs.

Regards,

Lee

Vette Racer
03-02-2003, 01:35
Well Guys, What can I say, What ever you think. I have only my things to say. Good luck to you and yours!

Bye!

MadDuraMax
03-02-2003, 11:17
Vette Racer,

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make then .. sorry :confused:

If you were simply making the point that the G80 isn't all that it's cracked up to be, then I agree with you! Then again it is the only traction aiding option we get from GM. My comments were simply to point out what typically goes wrong with the G80 from functioning as IT IS DESIGNED to.

If you want the best "locker" for the money, IMHO, go get a Detroit Locker. If you want your 4x2 to drive like a 4x4 .... well you're SOL!

Mark

TxDoc
03-02-2003, 18:47
No matter the locker aka traction aid, tires, horsepower, torque, ground clearance....you will still become stuck, if you use your truck. The best mod is a winch and some Plasma Rope.

IndigoDually
03-03-2003, 09:55
OK,I'll bite, Plasma Rope? :confused:

glclary
03-04-2003, 08:21
Vette Racer,

My only point is that the G-80 did what I thought it was supposed to do.

If mine had buried up in the yard like yours did in the snow I would have been ticked. I would be complaining to the dealer about it.

Regards

Vette Racer
03-04-2003, 15:16
I apologize to one and all for my last post. Should not have been on the computer.

My main point to the earlier posts was that the G80 just doesn't do as good a job as I thought it should, at least not in my truck. Maybe it has a problem, I don't know. It is interesting to see that some others seem to work better while yet others work about like mine. Who knows. And yes, I agree, if I had wanted traction, I should have bought a 4 wheel drive. Course, if I had any sense, I wouldn't have tried to pull that trailer out of a wet yard. redface.gif redface.gif

DMAXED
03-05-2003, 20:04
I have had some trouble with my G80 took the truck to the dealer they did some tests on the rearend and it failed so they ordered me another one it should be in next week .

cmtndmax
03-05-2003, 20:44
WE had snow last week and I drove over to fence to talk to neighbor. When I shifted into reverse both rear tires spun(no go pedal applied) and truck did not move. It was on a slope but not much of one. 4Hi button turned problem to no problem.