PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Tick & Shudder on Launch

Rebel_Horseman
12-09-2002, 15:59
I asked this question before but I can't seem to find the post or answer so I'm asking again.

When I go to leave from a light or accelerate in general I hear a metallic ticking coming from the rear of the truck. I also hear the same ticking when slowing down at a stoplight. Also, when starting from a light I feel a slight shudder or vibration..it's barely noticable if you're actually feeling for it, otherwise it's nonexistent. What is this tick / shudder I'm getting? More importantly, how serious is this problem? Should I get it to the shop ASAP? Can I still tow with the truck like this?

Thanks
Reb [><]

Idahobidcaller
12-09-2002, 16:26
Sounds like you have either a 2-piece drive shaft, or you need the rear diff fluid changed. half a pennies worth

DmaxMaverick
12-09-2002, 17:34
Rebel

Probably leaf spring slap. Check your rear leaf springs. The lowest (overload) should have round insulators on them at the ends. If not, there will be a 1/2" hole in the leaf, and possibly what's left of the insulator. I think there is a TSB that replaces them with a different style, under warranty. I've gone through several sets myself.

Steve Joneli
12-09-2002, 18:50
Could this be a U-Joint going out?

mark45678
12-09-2002, 21:29
two thing check to see it there is any grease inside the drive shaft yoke in the trans/transfer case.... often a source of drive line shutter. 2nd try putting about 500lbs in the bed near the tail gate ,I bet the noise stops .Its more then likely the springs slaping when the power gets put to the rearend... there should be plastic noise dampeners on the front and rear of the helper leaf.

Rebel_Horseman
12-10-2002, 09:02
I do hear that clunk too but there's another noise. When I was pulling my gooseneck cattle trailer I heard it this weekend. A slight tick that sounds a little like a playing card between the spokes of a bike. Very faint and it comes and goes. Last night I didn't hear it at all.

Reb [><]

Maverick
12-10-2002, 19:43
Definately the rear u-joint on the rear drive shaft. Mine did the same thing. I have a one piece driveshaft so I only had to buy 2 joints. My front joint looked good but replaced it anyway. I would replace all and not just the bad one.

Here is my thread. It may be helpful:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003756&p=

[ 12-10-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>