PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Factory Retractable Mirror Issue?

tnlegendracer
03-31-2005, 07:32
I bought my 2003 3500 used and it has what look to be factory retractable towing mirrors on it with the turn signal LED arrows (at least button in arm rest looks factory-no manual). The passenger side one needs manual assistance by pulling or pushing to extend or retract. Any body have a suggestion on fixing this, because this mirror looks too expensive to replace?

crew84
03-31-2005, 08:30
This has been discussed before. Check out this link.
Forum mirror link (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001276)

Bill Moncrief
04-01-2005, 04:21
Hello;
I have the powervision after market miirors on my truck, this is the manufacturer of the oem's. Anyway I had similar problem I called them and they sent me asheet on how to adjust the clutch but I can't find it now :mad: I would give them a call. I also found a problem with the plug the female side was to big and would lose contact so I took a small pick and tightened them up all has worked fine since :D
TOWERJAKE

DmaxMaverick
04-01-2005, 08:15
GM issued a bulletin regarding the mirror clutch adjustment for cold climate operation. I don't know the TSB number, but saw it floating around somewhere. Perhaps Madmatt could locate it. The adjustment seemed like a very simple operation.

The clutch is necessary to protect the motor/gear ass'y, so you wouldn't want to "over-adjust" it, but if it is not extending/retracting, it probably needs adjustment.

If you are still under warranty, the dealer should be able to take care of it for you.

tnlegendracer
04-11-2005, 12:19
Called PowerVision (got their number from their website). Anyway-a couple of things to note:

1. While their instructions say not to remove the motor, I did, as the clutch cover was practically inaccessible without it. Didn't bang it around, just laid it over the top.
2. The wider and flatter the screwdriver you use in the clip at the bottom (there's groove molded into the mirror backing plate to accomodate it), the better. I used one that may have been a little too narrow and boogered up the clip a little (cleaned it up with knife).
3. Most importantly, have an assortment of 7/16" sockets. Where that safety nut resides is inside the clutch. I tried two sockets and grabbed a third from the trash bin to turn it down so it could get in there. It worked (Craftsmen) without altering.
4. Take your time snapping the mirror glass back in. It almost seems to want to go on, then down, then in a little more at the top.

This all took a little over an hour (as I was careful 'cause it looks expensive). Works fine now. Thanks for the advice. One thing I did note that PowerVision had a paint mark lining up the nut with the clutch stud. I put about another turn on it, which is about all it would go. I can already tell the driver's mirror will give it up soon. As now the passenger mirror is beating it out to the extended position.