PDA

View Full Version : Another Brake Controller Question

DonG
07-12-2002, 21:55
Hi,
I have read all of the information on the Tekonsha Prodigy and the Jordan Ultima.

Both of these controllers are designed for use with trailers equipped with drum brakes that are activated with magnets.

I need a controller that will work with a trailer equipped with hydraulic disk brakes. I found that Master Brake makes a controller for this that they call "BrakeSmart".

However, I have no experience with this controller. Can anyone help me with some information and first hand experience???

Many Thanks for any help.
Don

dmaxstu
07-12-2002, 23:02
You might go to the Jordan website forum and ask Jordan himself whether or not his controller will work with that unit. the Jordan Ultima 2020 should be able to activate a solenoid activated master brake cylynder.Stu
www.jordanbrake.com

DonG
07-13-2002, 00:38
dmaxstu,
I have called Jordan and talked to him about his controller. He is unable to taylor the Ultima to handle the hydraulic brakes without a good wiring diagram of the hydraulic unit.

He thinks it would show a connection when plugged in, but any read out would not represent the actual voltage in operation.

The Tekonsha Prodigy will not show a connection, nor will any of the special features work as designed.

Both controllers appear to apply the trailer brakes, but without some confirmation data, or feedback, I am going on faith alone. Not a good feeling when I am trying to stop a trailer weighing 13,500 lbs.

dmaxstu
07-13-2002, 08:36
don G
I think I would try and get Jordan that diagram, he builds one awesome controller. I can imagine you did'nt get an offer like that from Prodigy. Another reason to go with a Jordan controller, I love that personalised service you get with him.Stu

MaxACL
07-16-2002, 19:26
Don G,

I too will purchase a trailer with 12k axles and disk brakes. I'd like to stay in the loop about what you find but your Uncle (Sam) makes that a little difficult at times. Would you kindly email me what you find? Thanks...

Mike

(remove the ?)
miketheboo???@hotmail?.com

DonG
07-17-2002, 17:24
MaxACL,
I have your e-mail address and will let you know what path I choose.

When I talked with Jordan he indicated he needed an electrical drawing to pursue any changes, and the manufacturer of the equipment would not send him one without him purchasing the whole braking system module.

What I received as an owner, does not appear to be sufficient info. that Jordan could use, but who knows.

STOLLEY uses a Jordan controller with hydraulic disk brakes successfully. I do not know if he receives an indication that the trailer is plugged in correctly or not.

I was hoping someone on these pages had some experience with the BrakeSmart Controller, but so far no one has responded with information on that controller.

Don