PDA

View Full Version : Dealer broke HVAC connector

Wont Goof Again
10-06-2003, 12:38
Well, chalk one up to another bright dealer! Last February, my heater stopped working outright - some electric dodad stopped working so I had no fan regardless of the heater fan setting. Brought it to the dealer; had to go twice before they actually fixed it (replaced an electrical part). Afterwards, my wife noticed that there was a bit of cold air flowing around the plastic shield below the HVAC box. But being close to the end of winter (and having been to the dealer already twice!), I decided to ignore it for the time being...

Having had the truck now for just over a year, I figured I would change the cabin air filter. When I went to remove the plastic shield below the HVAC, I noticed that there were only 2 screws instead of the 3 that I had read about in these forums. Well upon further inspection, I noticed that the dealer had broken the 3rd connector hanging down from the HVAC box (the one just above the transmission hump). They didn't just break the arm hanging down, there's actually a hole about the size of a quarter in the HVAC box. To hide their error, they put a bit of caulk on the connector and stuck it back into place. Well, the caulk didn't hold and that's why I had a cold air flow around the passenger side floor area and why there wasn't a 3rd screw.

Anyways, I went to the dealer (very P****d) and told them they were going to fix it. They didn't admit to breaking the connector, but they ordered the part. When I got home, I looked at the service manual and noticed that the entire instrument panel as well as the HVAC has to be removed to replace it. Anyways, I have absolutely no confidence that the dealer can fix it without breaking something else or leaving something loose to rattle as I drive.

So, my question to the group is: Is there a way that the pin could be glued (reliably) to the HVAC such that 1 - it won't leak cold air anymore; 2 - I can use the 3rd connector; and 3 - I don't have to bring the truck back to the dealer!

Thanks,
Paul

BassinRVer
10-06-2003, 12:44
I wish I could help. But I would let them try to fix it.