PDA

View Full Version : Reunel front bumpers

Brian W. Littleton
07-12-2002, 13:20
Has anyone had any problems with the Reunel bumper installations? I understand that with the GM trucks the front suspension should be beefed up to handle the extra weight and winch. Ford shows an adder on their trucks for this.

gardnerteam
07-12-2002, 21:02
I have a Reunel copy (actually about 150 lbs heavier) with a Warn 15,000 winch on the front of my 02 4X4 CC LB 2500HD. Truck with canopy, Transferflo 65 tank, super HD (1/2" plate) rear bumper, and numerous other additions weighs between 8900 and 9000 with a driver in it. Ran it 15,000 miles in Southern Mexico and Guatemala this winter with it loaded to 11,000 lbs. Included over a 1,000 miles of 4X4 in mud and sand, bouncing the heck out of it. At 11,000 miles had to take a day off from exploring to tighten all bolts around the vehicle and use locking glue - will drill and cotter key before next winter. Mexican roads and off road have literally chewed up the tires in 20,000 miles (replace next week with 285 or 295 Toyos). Have had no front end problems other than factory shocks are toast. From end was cranked up to about level with rear. Next week getting 4" lift and new Bilsteins as well before I head to the High Sierras. The extra weight has not affected the front end nor caused excessive tire wear - the rear tires are the ones that catch all the grief. The normal Reunel should present no problem for you.

SWLA
07-12-2002, 21:13
Gardnerteam,

Not trying to be nosey, but I was wondering what takes you from Oregon to Central America so often? I have never been to Mexico, is it easy to travel there? I assume getting fuel is not a major problem, or am I wrong?

Sorry to get off subject.

gardnerteam
07-12-2002, 21:40
Been doing Baja and Mexico since 1956 - last 4 or 5 years been taking off winter months to explore. Normally drive 15,000 to 25,000 miles in 2.5 to 3 months. Driven most mapped roads and many unmapped roads throughout Mexico, but mostly in the South. Traveled in every Mexican State. Love the food, people, the countryside, and the adventure of exploring Mayan ruins. Been a lotta places most people, including Mexicans, never get. I'm a 17 yr old adventure junkie trapped in a 59 yr old body - I want to do it all before my chips are cashed in. Also run tours (basically non profit) to take others into the unusual and interesting areas. No danger, just adventure. My URL is www.mexicoadventures.com Hasn't been updated in 3 years. Too lazy and no time. I can be reached at gardnerteam@bendcable.com tom

Flyboy
07-13-2002, 12:27
If you are concerned about front end weight, can't you install the torsion bars for the snowplow option?