PDA

View Full Version : 285 BFG's on 16x8

TooMuchMuscle
10-03-2003, 10:16
Well I finnaly did it.. I just purchased the above metioned tires and all is well.. I will be putting them on Monday and before I have to crank the torsion bars. Other than a little trimming and such, do I need to do anything else? I cant wait.

DATSBAD
10-03-2003, 10:37
i put on 285 's and did not crank the bars , just trimmed slightly .

JimWilson
10-03-2003, 18:51
I just cranked -- I didn't need to trim a thing.

DieselDixon
10-07-2003, 20:06
Okay, I just but some 285 BFG MT on my truck tonight and I have trimmed and cranked and still need to trim a little more. How many turns did you go on the torsion bar bolts?

TooMuchMuscle
10-08-2003, 00:22
I will be getting the tires tomorrow and looking at my truck I think I need to crank a good amount... I will report tomorrow on what I do...

DieselDixon
10-08-2003, 07:08
Well I cranked mine 3 full turns. Might go one more and call it good. Still need to do some trimming though, I think the cranking alone is not the key because whenever I go into a turn and hit a bump it still hits.

JimWilson
10-08-2003, 12:03
I cranked my DS 7 turns, while only needing 3 on the PS (I've got the "Silverado Slope" real bad). But cranking that tight made the truck ride funny, so I swapped the original tbar keys with the green keys you've heard so much about.

Now, the PS is at the lowest possible setting, with the DS about 1/2 way up the bolt, and it's STILL higher then what the stock keys gave me when they were all but maxed. And it rides better too.

DieselDixon
10-08-2003, 12:53
Well, I just went to 6 turns and I think it looks pretty good there. Don't notice a big difference in ride, but I guess I'm going to have to look into what the heck these "green keys" are? Forum search here I come!

Then it's off to get realigned.

DieselDixon
10-08-2003, 18:50
Well after reading all the Pro's and Con's about the "green keys" I guess I will skip those. Now I am even worried about turning the bolts on the TB's 6 turns. Anyone have luck with this, give me a positive story here? It seems like 6 turns only equated to less then an inch in lift.

JimWilson
10-08-2003, 19:34
Yup, 6 is a lot of turns (if you're talking full turns). I'd classify them as being cranked pretty tight.

But 6 turns should have been about 1.5 inches. Each full turn should equate to 1/4". Are you sure all you got was an inch? Geez, that sounds like I'm asking you a personal question! :eek: :D

DieselDixon
10-08-2003, 20:58
Yep, they were 6 full turns and there is about 1/2" of thread left to go till they are maxed out. I doubt very much it went up 1-1/2", I would say no more then and inch. Guess I will back it off 2 turns to be safe, just don't want to jeopardize the front end too much.

fredw
10-11-2003, 09:39
i run those as well, no turning the torsion bars, might rub once a week or so, only when jumping a the sidewalk curb on a full turn, very minor, just put them on and enjoy