PDA

View Full Version : Driveline clanking

Inspector
07-28-2005, 21:18
Can someone tell me if a gt-5 rear diff is a limited slip? Here is what I got. My old 93 is making a terrible clanking sound when you put the power to it from a stop. If you ease into it its ok. It was making this sound before we changed the clutch and pressure plate out and is still making the sound after all that work. The clutch was bad and needed to be replaced. We replaced the flywheel as well. I am thinking that the rear end if it is limited slip, is the culprit. How do I identify it as a limited slip? The RPO code only says that it is a GT5 which is 4:10s. I'm hoping that it is the rear end that is making the driveline clank and buck like a spline is slipping. Help.
Denny

Hubert
07-29-2005, 03:36
A "clank" or "TINK" sound might be the driveshaft resonating from worn out ujoints. Depending on how many miles though the driveline develops some slop that does the same thing.

You can jack one wheel up and try to ease off the jack if it moves limited slip; if you just spin a wheel its not or worn out.

JohnC
07-29-2005, 05:09
The locking differential is a separate option, G80.

Inspector
07-29-2005, 08:27
This is more like a slip. It just bangs the whole driveline. We installed new U joints in the process of the clutch change. I fear that the output shaft of the NV4500 is slipping within the input shaft of the transfer case eg the splines are worn out. How this could happen I don't know. If that is the case all has to come out again and a trans overhaul is in order. I was hoping that it would be the rearend. As I remember, on the RPO code list in my 03 it list the GT5. It is a locking diff in that truck. I am going to look again but I think that it is also a GT5.
Denny

Inspector
07-29-2005, 08:32
John C. or Ronniejoe:
I started this thread in the wrong place. Could you move it down to the 2500/3500 drivline area please.
BTW this truck is a 3500 deully EC.
Thanks
Denny

JohnC
07-29-2005, 10:07
GT5 tells you what the gear ratio is. G80, if present, tells you it is a locker. If it doesn't say "G80" then it rolled off the assembly line with an open differential.

Moving to the drivetrain forum.