PDA

View Full Version : Are front wheel bearings routinely serviced during brake jobs?

markrinker
03-15-2005, 05:14
Used to be that front wheel bearings were routinely re-packed as part of a brake job.

On my 2003 K3500, would this be the case? I ask because I have yet to financially recover from the "all-4-corner, pads-AND-rotors, two-rear-axle-seals, tie-rod-end-and-drag-link, 6-fresh-tires and what-the-hell-lets-try-new-shocks" trip to the shop. Total bill: $3,005.

Now I have a 'crunch, crunch, crunch' sound coming from the front drivers side wheel area. Sounds like a dry bearing to me.

Shouldn't that have been serviced as part of the brake job? Or are they sealed bearings?

BigO
03-15-2005, 06:50
I have never had a car come out with that much work needed. That shop loves you now.

I would say no on the front wheel bearings. They usually do not just repack them. I just had brakes done on a 1977 vechicle, they did not do a thing to the bearings.

The crunch noise could be from a shock not being tight enough. Based on my experience, a bearing makes a grinding noise or hum.

ADub
03-15-2005, 07:31
I'm pretty sure the front ends of these trucks have a sealed bearing, no repacking. Could be a loose shock or a bad bushing at the shock mount.

BradL
03-15-2005, 08:13
It is a sealed bearing assembly, nothing for you to service.