PDA

View Full Version : Engine Compartment Light?

gregmican
06-23-2003, 16:43
What's up with this crap? Got my new Crew Cab in and what did I discover under the hood? No light! What kind of crap is this? I know I shouldn't need it with that bad a$$ Duramax, but It could still come in handy don't you think? :mad:

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-23-2003, 20:15
Originally posted by gregmican:
What's up with this crap? Got my new Crew Cab in and what did I discover under the hood? No light! What kind of crap is this? I know I shouldn't need it with that bad a$$ Duramax, but It could still come in handy don't you think? :mad: Dude,

Not to rain on your parade but don't look under your dash if you drop something and try to lock up your spare, 2 more GM getting cheapo things. :eek:

We had an old thread on this, it does SUCK :mad:

GMC ;)

DieselDixon
06-23-2003, 23:00
You know I noticed that one night too and I was sick to my stomach, charge me the $5 and put the dang light in.

Bobcat698
06-23-2003, 23:07
Yeah that kind of sucks, and there was a PRICE INCREASE on the DMAX option for 03 even!
Like $300!!

Garrett

mackin
06-24-2003, 04:10
Left them out prolly casue they were tired of the "Why Do I Have To Smack My Under Hood Light For It To Come On ??" Question ...... http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

Mac

HD-Nate
06-24-2003, 08:39
He heee, I think its kinda funny. I mention it to the F*rd guys that are in awe of the D-Max, when they say

DieselDixon
06-24-2003, 11:32
I think I might hit up a junk yard and see if I can find one of the old real up lights and put that in?

mike.morris
06-24-2003, 11:49
All,

I was in AutoZone back in February and I saw these nifty little LED lights that the rice burning street racers put on their car and it got me thinking about an under hood solution for the DMAX. My wife's impala has the same problem, no under hood light. Anyway, I bought 3 kits (nine lights) and went about placing them into the insulation in the hood. Kind of a wiring mess with 18 wires snaked between the insulation and metal, but none of it is visible once the insulation is installed. I used an LED rocker switch mounted on the plastic fan shroud near the battery. A little split loom and some tape and presto! Lights under the hood. I will post some pics soon. Cost was around $40 for lights, wire, switch, and loom. Not a huge amount of light, but enough to see to check oil, change fuel filter or check fuses. I may add more lights in the future, but with golf, fishing, kids, and work, there is not enough time.

SparkyTX
06-24-2003, 12:19
Sounds pretty interesting. I would like to see pics.

BTW - My 2003 service manual talks about an underhood light. This manual (helms) is for Sierra/Silverado/Denali. Does that mean that either the 1500 Sierra/Silverados or the Denali does have them? If so, maybe we can get a part number and simply add it.

I know the Avalanches don't have one either. Any ideas?

mike.morris
07-02-2003, 23:57
OK fellas, I finally got motivated enough to take pics and post them. Here is the link:

http://www.pbase.com/rangerboy

I am out of town this weekend, but I will try to check in and respond if anyone has questions.

Mike

DA_MAXX
07-03-2003, 00:05
Had an 02 2500HD Gasser, It had the light under the hood. It came with the trailer wiring harness and the 7 to 4 wire adapter plug.

New 03 D/A came with none of the above.What good is the trailer package option if you have to buy the other items extra ?
Really, pay 40K+ and get less !!!!! It justs nickel & dimes you more....

What's next ? :eek: