PDA

View Full Version : factory frame coating

oneton
06-22-2003, 06:33
Hi guys, I'm looking for the link for the OEM factory frame coating someone posted awhile back. I've tried to search all the forum but I'm not finding the right thread. Would whomever posted it mind posting it again?

Thanks

56Nomad
06-22-2003, 09:15
Find one of hoot's messages and open
his signature link. You'll find your answer
there ;)

56Nomad
06-22-2003, 09:19
Frame Coating maker.....

oneton
06-22-2003, 10:17
Thanks Guys.

jbplock
06-23-2003, 03:46
Has anyone purchased the Aerosol can version of the frame coating? If so, how did it work?

Tudge
06-23-2003, 07:25
I tried last week to order a couple cans of this from Daubert. However they only sell to distributors. They directed me to the closest distributor (happened to be in California) after getting in contact with them I was informed that they sell it by the case only. I dont think I have the need for 12 cans of the stuff :mad:

Needless to say I ended up buying a can of rubberized undercoating from the local parts store.

Good luck and let me know if you find a place to buy it in quantities of less than a case.

luvthesmellofdiesel
06-24-2003, 07:50
Same thing they told me, they don't sell to the public, wouldn't even tell me where I could get it. I am interested in a couple of cans if someone buys a whole case they don't need. I have a can of the rubberized stuff but I would prefer to use the real deal.

Thanks,
Tim

HD-Nate
06-24-2003, 08:45
Sounds like something Mr. Kennedy could pick up and distribute. I know that I would buy a can or two.

The guys who put my Bridgestones on my truck used a center post type lift that dug into the coating and now I

hoot
06-24-2003, 09:06
I'd be willing to bet if you took a hair dryer to the stuff you could take a paint brush and recover the exposed areas with it.

JimWilson
06-26-2003, 14:37
No matter what product you use it's probably a bad idea to spray over any areas that are already rusting.

chuntag95
06-26-2003, 15:40
Why not use the rubberized stuff? It won't desolve if fuel get's on it. It doesn't wipe off like the waxy stuff. It seems to be much tougher than the OEM in general. Use some steel wool or some phosphoric acid to remove or pasivate the rust and brush away. I have been using the rubber stuff to cover scratches and those often spilled on areas. The tire place used a lift with blocks and I had to cover those spots as well. Why did the general hang the filter right over the frame and put down a rust inhibitor that diesel desolves? :mad: I have just been trying to keep all of my brush strokes in the same direction, front to back, so I don't pick up any more drag. tongue.gif

Victory Red
06-27-2003, 03:57
I've got a friend that owns a body shop, if there's enough people interested(and if John isn't) I'm sure I can have him score a case and distribute it for people that are interested.

AZDMAX
06-27-2003, 07:56
I have a case that I purchased from a CA distributer. Will sell the extra cans. I have 5.50 in the cans allready. Shipping cost could add another 5.00 to this price.
It is a 12 oz spray can.

Lawnboy
06-30-2003, 09:50
Why doesn't GM just paint (powder coat) the frames? Then leave it up to us to undercoat? Seems a powdercoat finish would hold up very well. I realize that the wax coating is designed to absorb road debris and paint cant do that, but I've seen some pretty tough powder coating that would surely hold up. Plus, its probably easier and cheaper to powdercoat vs the waxy mess!

ColoradoSpringsToDaMAX
09-14-2003, 19:14
Hey AZDMAX,

Do you still have extra aerosol cans of that undercoating? If so, I am interested in getting a couple from ya. Please drop me an e-mail at john dot cason at hp dot com.

Thanks,
John

mdrag
09-14-2003, 20:17
Here is the post by Cliffee with the Nox Rust X-121B (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005300) frame undercoating information. I ordered a few cans from them without problems.

I found this Non Rust X-121B article (http://www.i-car.com/html_pages/about_icar/current_events_news/advantage/advantage_online_archives/2002/032502.html). The advantages of the wax coating include 4X cheaper than E-coat, flows better into the corners and enclosed areas of the frame, and the wax does not require as much surface preparation.

ColoradoSpringsToDaMAX
09-15-2003, 08:50
Thanks mdrag, I will give them a call!
John

chuntag95
09-15-2003, 11:27
I continue to find places the wax has come off. I dropped my spare to add a rear sway bar and found 4 nice and shiny bare spots on the cross memebers. :eek: I have a can of undercoating sound proofer that I keep with me anytime I am under the truck now. I just keep spraying the spots. :rolleyes: