PDA

View Full Version : Could someone point the way ==>

mackin
07-08-2002, 16:54
To the internal air filter that cleanses the cabin air, cause mine is as stale foul smelling as it gets....... Apparently last years brush fires live on in my truck........ Non smoker and I don't let anyone that does in my vehicles, and don't PHART on the leather, they say you can't get the smell out....... Believe it, ever smelt a cow on a summer day?Any day for that matter, PU...... But man oh man when I put the air on for the first 5 mins,when in re-circulation mode, smells like a stale camp fire, that will take your breath away.......For a month last year, when I got in my truck, in the mourning, smelt like a forest fire, as brush fires (small) where a mile a way and wind blowing my way.......Now it's tainted MY FILTER....... It's not a typical mildew non draining condensation smell.....

How easy is it to get to? Hope it's as easy as changing the central air filter in the house , 10 seconds........

Anyone done it? Part number please.........Need to donate to, Stealer item?

MAC :D

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

FirstDiesel
07-08-2002, 17:09
mackin

My local FLAPS has the filter listed in their catalog as being made by both Fram and Purolator so you don't need to deal with the dealer. I'm not sure how and where it is though. IIRC the manual says to see the dealer as it's not easy to do.

TBC
07-08-2002, 17:47
The owners manual shows where it is. It has a 1" wide plastic "gate" that swings down. It is a little pain in the rear to get out. There are two filters stacked on top of each other. The dealer is a little expensive and I won't buy my next one there.

AKDmax
07-08-2002, 18:02
mackin,
LMAO... what do you do after you fill up and get a nice hot meal on the road, nestle in for the long haul... ooops!, I gotta PHART. Do you stop the rig, get out and let 'er rip on the roadside. Come on. have a little courtesy for the rest of us breathing that foul air you just let go.... RFLMAO :D !!! that was funny! good luck on the filter, i'm curious myself. let us know please

Tommy turbo
07-08-2002, 18:26
It takes all of ten minutes. I have changed mine allready 21,000 miles. Just pull the three screws out on passenger side under dash cover. One inch wide flap has one screw. Then it swings away. Inside there are two filters one is in front of the other. Mine were really trashed up. Not a lot of air flow through there. Bought at Dealer for $18.00 A/C delco. No one had the aftermarkets in stock only had a number in system. There is two different kinds of filters. One is for filtering only and the other one is for filtering and smell.(has a charcoal part).

NutNbutGMC
07-08-2002, 18:50
^...Mack Daddy, buy an extra set of filters to sit &lt;---- (no typo) on, then let it rip.

My Ms. would slap the taste out of my mouth if I even thought about expelling gas with her in the truck. I fair better to do what AKD said.... Stop, get out, kick the tires and lower the pressure, man up, and get back in for more miles of slow top end fun.

mackin
07-08-2002, 18:53
Tommy,

Thanks , the stealer it is .........Sounds simple enough...,

AKDmax,

Hell ya....... Know you know why my front rotors are out of round,you all thought it was JUICE related ...... All them PANIC, I got to let one ......

MAC

:D

NutNbutGMC ,

Worth a shot .......Thanks....

I was hoping ALIMAX could hook me up with a reverse incorporated GUTTER RAM "HOT FOUL" AIR SYSTEM

MAC tongue.gif

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-08-2002, 19:16
Nah, I don't think it's the filter. I think you nailed the throttle too hard one day and scared the phart out of yourself, and it's in the leather. Now with a get together coming up, you're desparately trying to get rid of the smell! :D :D

You are too much fun... ;) nobody else has this much fun finding out where that stupid filter is!

Regards, Steve

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

AKDmax
07-08-2002, 21:59
Well now my gut hurts from laughing so D*** hard. I sure am glad I got the fabric seats :D !!

On edit: I went out to take a look at how easy this was. Wanna make sure I have good filters in case I go through a mackin cloud. This must be an SLT/LT thing because I couldn't find the "flap".

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
07-09-2002, 00:02
Hey Mackin.....(and anyone else that cares)

Stay away from the stealer!

Amsoil has them for less than $20 a PAIR ($14 wholesale...SHHHH).

They are not in the catalog, yet (under the HD listing). The part # is AF1114. When I called my order in, I asked if they were one or two to a package. She said one, so I ordered 4, got eight (kewl! they come 2 to a box) Local dealers wanted $28 each (one). They appear exactly like the OEM's, and are made by Hastings. Perfect fit.

In regards to the r/r. There are 3 screws that hold the cover on above the pass. floor board. That screw on the far left was a real B!T@H. I left it in the glove box. No rattle or anything in thousands of miles. Once you get the cover off, the rest should be pretty obvious. Be sure to lay down a towl or something to catch all the junk that will fall out when the filters are pulled. Careful on the left side. When the filters are removed, the heater core will be exposed. Don't want to poke anything up there and damage another gold plated GM item.

BTW
Have you tried that Fabreeze stuff? Works on old pharts with bold pharts, not too bad on the smokey smell, either. As far as the old lady goes, that's why there is a passenger window control on the driver's side (2 if you have a crew).

ChevysRus
07-09-2002, 10:26
Hey did someone say GET-TOGETHER. Where and when or do I just follow my nose when leaving Macklinville??????? ha ha ha

I was thinking about changing those inside passenger compartment filters (sounds like something on a submarine), but have not got around to it. Hey by the way, I have leather seats
and I Phart a lot, but I just turn on the seat warmers and it dries eveything out LOL ha ha ha

You guys are too much fun!!!!!!!!

Tommy turbo
07-10-2002, 17:49
The $18.00 price was for a pair from dealer the charcoal ones were about $32.00 I opted for the original ones. I have an auto repair shop so there was a discount from list price.

mackin
07-10-2002, 18:42
Well, there in and it was fairly easy.....It's just like Tommy says.......Thanks again.......

In addition it was just like DmaxMaverick said about that far left screw...... Got it out PITA putting it back took even more effort..... Keeping the screw stuck on the 7 mm socket with a well chewed piece of gum did the trick......

Got the filter pack(2) at the dealer. List was $22 my cost $20, not bad, in stock, good after sale service too...... tongue.gif They also ordered the filter on the other side of core?? Turned out to be a screen.... They sent it back......

Smell is gone ........ You can see some PICS in my misc. D-MAX folder on the PICS..... If you would like ...... Sorry no scratch and sniff attached.......

Now any one want to do a GP on some "BEANO" ??????
Anyone know a good "PANHANDLER"??????
Brakes are getting thin......... tongue.gif

MAC :D

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

KompressorMan
07-13-2002, 15:22
Hey Mac,
I'm sure you've cleaned the interior but there is one more thing you can do. When houses get smoke damage, you can rent an Ozone machine. Lock it up in the garage with the truck windows down and turn it on. Smells kinda like air after a thunderstorm, real fresh. Also, they make this stuff called Ozium, which also works great at neutralizing foul odors.
Herb