PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control problems

dschultz
09-21-2003, 02:38
I am having a problem with the cruise control.

When using the Resume/Accel function to bump up my speed the cruise sometimes drops out.

I could only make it happen when towing, I have had no problems running empty.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Max Power
09-21-2003, 07:49
You give no information on your truck but I am willing to be that it is probably just a computer glitch. Give me more info on the truck and i will see if i can help.

dschultz
09-21-2003, 09:58
Thanks for the reply,

My truck is a 2002 3500 LS CC D/A. it has 36900 miles.

The computer was updated last winter with the software that was supposed to prevent the setting of false code when using the block heater.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks

Max Power
09-21-2003, 10:18
The only time it cuts off is when accellerating by holding resume?

Lone Eagle
09-21-2003, 12:37
dschultz, Pull the fuse for a few seconds and see if that helps. It worked for me twice when mine would not engage. The fuse is located in the panel on the left outboard end of the dash. Later! Frank

dschultz
09-21-2003, 12:57
Max Power:

It seems to cut out only when tapping the R/A button to increase the speed. Sometine it only takes one press to have the cruise drop out, other times it will drop out after several presses.

Max Power
09-21-2003, 13:25
I think the problem is likely a computer glitch. The only other thing that could cause it would be if when you release the resume it snaps back to off. I think you would know it if it was doing it though.

If it is still under warranty you might want the dealer to take a look at it.

Brandenburg
09-21-2003, 13:40
There were some posts on this last winter. Seemed to be more prone to do it in cold weather. If I remember correctly, the consensus was that it was caused by a faulty multi-function switch. Mine does it in cold weather but I don't feel it's worth buying another $160 switch to fix it.

Max Power
09-21-2003, 14:27
It's not imposible for the cruise control switch to do this but very unlikely. Should be easy to test though. All you would need to do is put a volt meter on the wire that is hot when the on/off switch is on and no power when the switch is off. Then press resume repeatedly and see if the voltage disappears on this wire when you press resume. This is the only way the leaver could be causing this problem. Given the design of the switch it is not very likely, but not entirely impossible.

Buck
09-21-2003, 17:18
dschultz,
I had the same problem last winter but it only happened when it was below 20* outside. Once the cab warmed up it worked fine. The dealer replaced ECM but it didn't fix the problem. Finally the whole cruise/turn signal stalk got replaced which cured my problem. He told me there was a short in the stalk itself.
BTW,
My '01 has a build date 7/30/2001.

Nut4Trucks
09-29-2003, 18:34
I have a 2002 2500HD that has pretty much always done the same thing intermittently. Mostly when I am attempting to fine tune my cruise speed by briefly pressing on the resume/accel button. After the 3rd time the cruise will just drop out. I just kinda figured it was a quirk, not serious enough to worry much about.
Nut4Trucks

Flyboy
09-30-2003, 16:42
Mine does the same thing. It seems that the switch will spring back to the off position if you just tap it and let it fly. Try releasing the switch without letting it snap back and see if that helps. It does with mine.

ryeguy
10-01-2003, 16:26
Replacing the multi-function switch on the column fixed my problems. And they sounded exactly the same as yours.

--Rob