PDA

View Full Version : Truck Sat 2 weeks now it wont run HELP

markmartin
03-07-2005, 17:02
HI Guys, I just got back from the Body Shop, I had my truck there for two weeks having it painted, it sat there for two weeks and now after they have painted it, they tried to start it and it wouldnt fire, I wasnt there, they said they cranked on it for a good while, running the battery down. WHAT DO YOU THINK? Could it have lost prime ? It had never failed to start immediately before it sat for the two weeks, any input would be appreciated

mark

More Power
03-07-2005, 20:18
Begin with the basics as listed in the online Troubleshooting Resource (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm).

It's probably a fuel drainback or air entry situation, but there are other items in the above link that could also be the cause.

MP

JohnC
03-08-2005, 11:01
Originally posted by markmartin:
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Do they know what glow plugs are?

markmartin
03-08-2005, 18:36
It was a fuel bleed off problem

thanks guys primed it and off we went

Robyn
03-09-2005, 16:40
My 84 Blazer will do that if I park it nose up in the driveway. The check valve in the fuel pump takes a poop and the fuel drains back overnight or in a day or two even on the level. Replace the engine mounted lift pump and you should be shed of thaqt annoyance.

markmartin
03-09-2005, 16:49
It sat 24 hours and dang if the thing didnt won't crank again. Where is the fuel filter on this puppy and how do I go about priming it.

How can I get into the troubleshooting area, it promps me for my password, but when I enter the password it wont let me in

Thanks

Barry Nave
03-10-2005, 02:59
You should have two passwords,one for the DP member area and one for the forums.
I keep my passwords in file from the E-mail that was sent to me from JB.
Not sure what year truck you have,and I take it you have not changed the filter.
If you still have the gray TURBO cover on,remove it(leave off,don't need it,keeps eng.pump and PMD cooler)Then the filter will be towards the back close to the fire wall.
You'll see a black knob with a white tag and a nipple that is used to bleed the filter during a filter change. To remove the filter, there will be a black ring that unscrews to lift filter out.
Filter housing had tabs and filter has tab slots. On the filter there will be one slot bigger and housing has one tap begger, towards the front. This alines the filter to the housing and can only go in one way.
How did you bleed,prime to get it started from the shop last time?

markmartin
03-11-2005, 05:06
The guy at the body shot got it primed and running, he told me he filled the filter, then opened a small bleeder on the front of the motor (looks like someone added this bleeder) and he got it cranked that way, I plan to try to get it going today. I plan to fill the filter, try to bleed any air with the top of the filter housing and also the bleeder on the front of the motor (looks like it was added) Do you have to turn the motor over to get the air out ? Is this a two man job? Thanks for your help guys

moondoggie
03-11-2005, 08:27
Good Day!

You might want to click on "my profile" & let us know what year, etc. truck you are talking about. It's handy, because you don't have to remember to do it, it shows up at the bottom of all your posts automatically. smile.gif

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Marty Lau
03-11-2005, 14:07
MarkMartin;

That bleeder screw is factory it's used to drain fuel out of the filter to get rid of water and crude in the fuel filter. If you are having problems either you have a fuel line leak or I would guess a lift pump needs to be changed they are on the frame rail about at the drivers door. Check and see if you got power too the lift pump or if it runs if you do the prime cyle or you should hear it tick if you roll down the window and shut and turn it off. It could also be a defective OPS or even a plugged fuel filter those thing should be changed every 15,000 miles or so and if you had no idea where it is it maybe way over due.

And how about telling us what year and kind of truck ect. it helps listen to Moondoggie.

markmartin
03-11-2005, 19:38
The truck is a 1994, all stock, 6.5 Turbo, extended cab long bed, 2500 8 lug. TODAY, charged the battery and cranked on it, I filled the fuel filter, (new filter) opened the black screw in the top of the filter housing, poured more fuel in, closed the top, opened the bleeder at the front of the motor, a little are bled out, I am pretty sure I got the air out of the line, with the black screw on the top of the filter housing cracked open, fuel would spurt out when the motor was turned over by my friend.
I had another guy look at it that has a 6.5 and he said he thought one of my batteries was dead and the starter was not spinning the motor enough to crank, I plan to install a new battery tommorow and fool with it some more. HOpe this helps, I really appreciate your input so far

Mark

DmaxMaverick
03-12-2005, 00:26
Mark

That valve on the front of the engine IS NOT a bleeder. It is a drain, connected to the BOTTOM of the filter housing, for draining water and other contaminants. If you are getting air out of it, there will not be enough fuel in the filter to get any to the IP.

Bleed the filter with the valve ON TOP of the filter cap OPEN, and the drain (at the front of the motor) CLOSED. When you get fuel out of the top bleeder, close it off and continue with your starting attempts with freshly charged batteries.

markmartin
03-13-2005, 12:57
I got it to start yesterday, a friend of mine helped me work on it Friday and said he thought on of the batteries was dead, I installed a new battery and it started right up BUT I drove it about 20 miles on Saturday with no problem. I took off in it to church today and about a mile from the house it quit (just like the key was turned off or something) I put it in nuetral, it started right back, drove it about another mile and it quit again(just like before) I restarted and went another mile, quit again, restarted again and drove it the next 6 miles with no problem, AFTER church (about 2 hours later) went out to the parking lot, motor turns over fine but it wouldnt hit a lick, its got a half tank of diesel in it. ANY IDEAS ? Do you think my PMD finally died ? Any help would be appreciated. I need to take it to a GOOD diesel mechanic and let them look at it, ONLY problem is I dont want to take it to someone and get RIPPED.... I live near Henderson Ky, THANKS

rameye
03-13-2005, 16:09
markmartin..

you need to verify that you are getting fuel to the inj. pump before writing off your PMD.

If you dont you may end up spending alot of money and have the same result.(broken truck).

my .02

markmartin
03-13-2005, 18:45
I have fuel to the top of my fuel filter, can there be blockage between there and the inj pump?

Thanks

rameye
03-14-2005, 15:19
Fuel just cant be present at the top of the filter it has to flow while cranking.

Next you need to check, clean and tighten all battery connections and grounds.

Check the ECM fuses and the lift pump fuses.

If you have fuel and all the electrical is in good order then you can try a PMD replacement.

To answer your question about the line being blocked...yes I guess it's possible but unlikely. Want to check? Undo the black fuel line to the top of the inj pump and crank it over.....does fuel come out there?...Yes? if is you're getting fuel to the pump. Disconnect the fuel stop solenoid before doing so as not to airbind the pump.

Kennedy Diesel has a PMD replacement kit which may take 15 minutes to install.

good luck