PDA

View Full Version : Protecting the Bed When Loading A Camper

56Nomad
07-08-2002, 11:30
My Lance camper has very small clearance
tolerance and it
was easy to scape the inside of the bed on my
2000 Chevy when loading it on the truck.

I decided to protect my new dually from scrapes
and gouges by riveting the heaviest gauge sheet
metal plates at the stategic spots inside the bed.

It does the job. Even though I have Line X,
it still can be chewed up by a misaligned camper loading.

Pictures are at
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=965038&uid=469559&members=1

odoh
07-08-2002, 14:13
56 ~ Thanks for the input. I've always wondered about the potential for damage loading the bigger campers. Until now, no one has mentioned it. That together w/the soft boxes on the GMs made me somewhat apprehensive. ~ odoh

56Nomad
07-08-2002, 17:36
odoh,

One other problem is trying to load these
campers on board when the ground is
not level. So out in the boonies, these
allow for a greater margin of error :D

BobNelson
07-08-2002, 21:31
Howie.... thnks for the email. Been outa town for a few days doing some construction work at my sons place...

The sheet metal pieces are cheeating. You can only be graded on your ability to perfectly align the bed every time.... Level ground or not...

I wonder what they woule like painted black to match the liner.

I decided to use some old carpet and tack it to the camper and wrap under. seems to work ok.... I still have the plastic bed liner and plan to move to the linex w/in a few weeks. ($$ is always an issue.

Just had a boat loader put on my trailer this morning. Gotta be able to take as many toys along as possible... ;)

Later..

bbattrell
07-08-2002, 22:04
Try a LineX spray on bed liner. I have loaded and unloaded my Lance alot.It still dosent have a scar.

wangotango
07-08-2002, 23:34
The way I understand the two major players in spray-on linings have one big difference.
The Line-X is harder. I have Line-X (absolutely love it) and roll out a cheap rubber bed mat when I load the camper.

The Tork-Lift folks highly recommend a mat for any type of sprayed-on liner. Pretty much elimintes all movement.

Of course it doesn't help me when I ram the camper into the wheel wells.

Yikes!

my 1/50th of a dollar ( 35 cents Canadien)

w/t