PDA

View Full Version : Predator @ 85hp = Alli stuck in 4th after 10 sec wot burst uphill from 65mph

c5dura
03-08-2005, 06:19
Truck has 38k on it, never had a box on it before. Alli spin on was changed at 5k. I've done very little towing (perhaps 4k total with 6k trailer). Truck tips the scale around 8100# empty (which is how I ran it this morning).

So I load the 85hp tune last night, and go for a short drive around the neighborhood and all is well. Love the extra power, but I don't get on it too hard.

So this morning I leave for work, go real easy on it to let the engine and trans get to operating temp. Then I start up a 5 mile incline (crossing the Blue Ridge Mountains), and set the cruise at 64mph as usual. Normally the Alli has to downshift into 4th to maintain speed, but not with the 85hp Predator tune. I give a little extra right foot a few times to pass a couple of cars. Truck accelerates effortlessly while still in 5th. This is way cool!

As I'm nearing the summit, I decide to go WOT just for 10 seconds to see what it'll do. Truck accelerates very smoothly. 70...75...80...WHAM, Alli downshifts into 4th and I immediately let off the gas and coast back down to 60 or so. Then the SES light comes on.

I crest the mountain and get onto the Interstate and head down the other side. Truck won't go into 5th anymore. I take the next exit, shut the truck down. Start it back up, SES light still on. Pull back out on the road and this is when I notice the Alli is stuck on 3rd or 4th gear. Get back on the Interstate as my exit is just another 2 miles down the road. At the stoplight I try reverse, doesn't work. Scope the parking lot at work and find a spot that I can coast into backwards.

So there the truck sits in the parking lot and I'm trying to decide what to do next. I didn't bring the Predator with me, but from looking at other post here, I suspect that I set a P0700 code, and that with some luck, the Alli will be fine when I start it back up around lunch time.

My Alli behaves exactly the same as Riverholic's did as he describes in this post:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005892#000000

He took it to the dealer and they replaced two pressure solenoids under warranty. Mine ran out of warranty 2000 miles ago, and I hate my dealer and would prefer to fix whatever the issue is myself.

Did my 10 seconds of uphill wot mess up my Alli?

I've read here about guys running the juice at the 90hp setting all day long with no ill effets to the Alli. Is the Predator @ 85hp a lot stronger, or is it that my truck tips the scale at 8100# the issue.

Guess I'll be looking at upgrading the Alli to keep this from happening again. I hope I didn't wear something out already. :confused:

[ 03-08-2005, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: c5dura ]

More Power
03-08-2005, 07:22
I suspect the computer(s) sensed a problem that resulted in a code that needs to be reset, and may not return to normal till it is. Try disconnecting the batteries for a few minutes, or try a series of ignition cycles if you don't have tools to disconnect the batts.

I'd recommend carrying the Predator with you on future trips. You can then read/reset codes, which might be of some help in troubleshooting.

Every transmission is an individual. Some may take more torque than others. I've only set a trans code once in Lil Red, and I really had to beat on it.

MP

DmaxMaverick
03-08-2005, 08:00
You limped it. Plain and simple. The Allison slipped in 5th gear. No surprise with the 85 HP setting. Your code will be P0700, and you can reset it, but it will come back almost immediately. Don't worry about it. You probably didn't hurt anything, but damage can occur if you repeat. When you get back to your truck, I'll bet it will be fine, except the SES will be on. It will go away after a few warm up cycles, so don't worry about it. It's a good reminder to tell you not to do that again. Over time, you'll get the feel of how far you can push it.

Predator @ 85 HP + WOT + grade = Limp.
Most other tuners tend not to limp at their 80 - 90 HP settings, but I think they overrate their tune. X amount of torque/HP WILL slip OD, and/or the TC. If it doesn't slip, it is either pulling power back, or it is not giving you the advertised power (which is what I suspect). The 120 HP setting will slip all day long. Smokes like a freight train, too. Don't go there without a tranny upgrade.

How do I know all this? A little bird told me :D

BTW:
Change that tranny filter. 33K is too long. 20 to 25K is better.

c5dura
03-08-2005, 09:19
DmaxMav, you're exactly right. Went back out to the truck at lunch and the Alli worked 100% again. Still had the SES light as you suspected. Drove home and hooked up the Predator and sure enough, P0700. Told the Predator to clear it, but it didn't go away. Ran a couple of errands in town, and the SES light went away after the 2nd warm start. So all is well once again.

Alli is getting better at dealing with the extra power and I'm getting better at not mashing the go pedal. :D

I'm seeing very little smoke on the 85hp setting except right when I take off from a light with a little power breaking. And I'm most impressed with the acceleration from say 65 to 80 when merging on the interstate with only moderate application of the right foot.

Predator came packed with an Alli spin-on from Kennedy. Just waiting for my Amsoil torque-drive ATF to show up to do a complete flush.

I'm looking at the Suncoast stage III kit already... :eek:

madmatt
03-09-2005, 16:49
DMAXMAV,
you stated he limped it but in limp mode he should have had reverese as well as third. he stated no reverse. Why wouldn't he have had reverse in limp? all of them I have limped had reverse.