PDA

View Full Version : Idle_Chatter

Hammer Down
12-01-2002, 19:44
Idle_Chatter

I saw your pics on your Aux. fuel tank and how you have a topper with that. I would like to put a topper on my truck but I was concerned about fumes and that. Are there any? What accesories does a guy need to plum that threw the topper?

Idle_Chatter
12-02-2002, 08:11
Hammer Down, there were a lot of little "doo-dads" that I assembled for the through-the-cap fill. Most of them are in the picture set. I bought a 45-degree rollover fill plate from fuelsafe.com (a racing parts supplier in CA). I was going to just clamp and fill through the existing Aux Tank 2" fill neck, but then there would be no rollover or spill protection. I bought the rubber fuel-grade 90 degree elbow, the 2-1/2" aluminum tubing and the 2-1/2" fuel hose from an aircraft fuel supply house. The filler and cap is a GM part for the chassis-cab diesels. I had a local machinist cut the stainless ring for the outside. I have the tank vent hosed back to the filler assembly and there are no fumes in the bed. There *was* some seepage problems when I first installed and overfilled the tank. Not only around the neoprene gasket that I had installed under the rollover plate, but from the cork gasket on the Aux Tank sender plate. That got a little stinky, but only wound up as a film of diesel on the top and sides of the tank and not a bed full of loose fuel. I solved that problem by removing and resealing both plates with a urethane marine tank sealant and now I switch tanks when the low fuel light comes on and only add 32 gallons to the aux tank, which fills it up to within an inch or two of the top. No leaks, no seeps, no smell. That means that I only get 32 gallons "usable" out of the 43 gallon tank, but with the large footprint, it's about 9 gallons per inch of level so that 11 gallon leftover is only about 3" in the bottom of the tank. As you can see, it's a "homebuilt" hodge-podge of parts, but has been working great for nearly a year now. tongue.gif

Hammer Down
12-02-2002, 08:23
Thanks alot for the info. I am going to try and get most of the parts you mentioned here so I can do the same in mine. The Main concern I had was the smell in the back because I have a lab and she likes to ride around in the back of the bed. I am sure I will have more questions about your set up in the near future. Thanks again. Dave.