PDA

View Full Version : 2002 - Driver Side Rear Wheel Too Hot?

TheAmigo
03-02-2005, 19:43
I have a 2002 2500HD 4X4 CC D/A.

After a normal bit of driving, say around town, when I park the truck I get out and notice that the driver's side rear wheel seems to have a warm grease/oil smell to it, and it feels pretty hot. The other side does not have that warm grease/oil smell, nor does it feel as hot.

Any ideas?

-Nathan

DarylB
03-02-2005, 23:16
Pull both rear center caps, drive it again. Check the hub temperature. You could have a caliper that isn't releasing properly, causing excessive heat buildup. Seen this happen before on a chevette (dont laugh, sister's car tongue.gif ) - ended up being the proportioning valve.

jbplock
03-03-2005, 04:26
Nathan,
In addition to Daryl's suggestion, the oil smell could be caused by diff oil leaking on the rotor from a faulty axel seal... Does it smell a like sulfur.. If so it's probably diff oil. When the axel seals leak the e-brake shoes can also get saturated with oil and need replacement. Best to pull the wheels and check the caliper/pads for binding and the axel seal for leaks. The driver's side rear seal leaked on my 03 (See Picture (http://community.webshots.com/photo/65684589/139080723yFaWcq)).

smile.gif

[ 03-03-2005, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

YZF1R
03-03-2005, 06:32
My seals were found to be leaking last year when I had it in for poor parking brake performance, among other yearly items. They replaced the seals and parking brake shoes. After, one of my wheels ran warm also. They had the parking brake adjusted too tight on that side, which they loosened up. Been fine since, and the parking brake works.

Steve

TheAmigo
03-07-2005, 09:08
Yep. Axle Oil Seal.

I don't think it was running too hot, now. The smell of the oil on the hot rotors brought the problem to my attention.

I just wonder, though... The truck was in for a 4 wheel allignment a few months ago. I wonder if they're allignment process may have done it?

-Nathan

DmaxMaverick
03-07-2005, 09:25
I just wonder, though... The truck was in for a 4 wheel allignment a few months ago. I wonder if they're allignment process may have done it? Very unlikely. There is no adjustment to the rear allignment. The geometry is determined by the frame and suspension parts. There is no "4 wheel allignment" for a truck with solid axle and leaf springs on the rear. The only option is to replace worn/broken parts. A 4 wheel allignment is for front wheel drive vehicles, or vehicles with a link suspension in the rear, like a 'Vette. If they did try to adjust the rear allignment, or charge you for it, better use a different shop next time.

TheAmigo
03-07-2005, 17:42
Originally posted by DmaxMaverick:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I just wonder, though... The truck was in for a 4 wheel allignment a few months ago. I wonder if they're allignment process may have done it? Very unlikely. There is no adjustment to the rear allignment. The geometry is determined by the frame and suspension parts. There is no "4 wheel allignment" for a truck with solid axle and leaf springs on the rear. The only option is to replace worn/broken parts. A 4 wheel allignment is for front wheel drive vehicles, or vehicles with a link suspension in the rear, like a 'Vette. If they did try to adjust the rear allignment, or charge you for it, better use a different shop next time. </font>[/QUOTE]You're correct. It was just an allignment. Nothing done to the rear.

Thanks everyone.