PDA

View Full Version : BAD UJOINTS!!

PEANUTGRWR
07-02-2002, 23:37
IN MY FAMILY WE HAVE 3 D/A ALL ARE EXACTLY ALIKE REG CAB 4X4 AND WITH IN THE PAST MONTH ALL THREE HAVE HAD TO HAVE THE REAR UJOINT REPLACED. I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE OTHER TWO BUT MINE APPEARED THAT IT WAS INSTALLED WITH SOME PINS LAYING DOWN IN THE CAP. I GOT ABOUT 40K OUT OF MINE BEFORE IT WAS REPLACED AND THE OTHER TWO GOT ABOUT 20K OUT BEFORE THEY WERE REPLACED. SINCE MINE WAS OUT OF WARRANTY IT WAS A 50 DOLLAR HIT IN THE POCKET BOOK. THIS UJOINT IS BIG AND HEAVY BUT NO GREASE ZERK AT ALL. AND THE ONLY PLACE TO GET ANOTHER ONE WAS THE STEALERSHIP. HAS ANYONE ELSE RAN INTO THIS PROBLEM

Lawnboy
07-03-2002, 10:54
Peanut,

Cant help you out too much, other than to say that a non-greasable joint will be stronger than one that is greasable. Grease zerks do nothing but let impurities into the joint. No matter how well you wipe before you grease, you stand the chance of debris entering the cups. Plus the greasable ones would be hollow inside for the grease to travel, in essence making them weaker.

These days with super clean ISO 9001+ certified factorys, maintenance free, sealed, "anythings" are usually better than the old fashioned greasable varieties.

One question though....Do you drive your trucks through standing water often? That kills Ujoints pretty quick!

PEANUTGRWR
07-03-2002, 11:23
THANKS FOR THE REPLY I DUNNO IF I BUY THE NON GREASABLE IS BETTER OR NOT. ITS FUNNY TO ME THAT ALL THREE HVAE WENT OUT IN THE PAST MONTH. NO I LIVE IN WEST TEXAS AND THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANY STANDING WATER HERE SINCE NOHA tongue.gif tongue.gif

Brad Pelot
07-08-2002, 08:58
I believe I have a rear u-joint going out right now. It is creaking at low speeds in reverse mostly, sounds dry. Just noticed it on saturday.

By the way, It's got about 34000 on the clock.

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: Brad Pelot ]</p>

PEANUTGRWR
07-08-2002, 15:21
BE GLAD YOURE STILL IN WARRANTY. MINE WASNT AND IT WAS OVER $50 FOR THE UJOINT ITSELF.

Derek M
07-08-2002, 20:27
I was peaking up underneath our truck, noticed the u-joints and yokes are all Spicer brand. Spicer supposedly makes good stuff. Should be able to save considerable money on u-joints if you can cross them over into a Spicer part number at most auto parts stores. The Spicer conversion u-joint in my Z28 to mate up to the Strange 12 bolt was $13. Go figure.....