PDA

View Full Version : 2500HD vs. 3500

DonG
07-02-2002, 18:52
I had an opportunity to run my fifth wheel RV over some truck scales, and the resulting pin weight would suggest a 3500 1-ton would be better than the 2500HD I have been trying to buy.

What are the differences between the two sizes other than two more wheels? Is the frame, brakes, axles, differentials, the same on these two trucks?

What kind of performance differences should I expect?

Thanks for your information.
Don

mackin
07-02-2002, 20:06
Don,

=====================
Is the frame, brakes, axles, differentials, the same on these two trucks?
======================

Yes, but the spring weight and additional tires give additional weight carrying loads differences then the 2500HD........

Performance difference is NIL ......They don't weigh that much more......

Negatives are .......Cost a little more, A little harder to park conventionally, re-rubbering cost more, tire size change is minimal at best.... Oh ya it's a chick magnet,they see that good looking rear end ... LOL

That's about all I can think of ........

MAC smile.gif

JEBar
07-03-2002, 03:47
prior to purchasing a 3500 I drove several of each ... found the 3500 consistently had a better ride than the 2500, which was explained on this forum several months ago as being caused by the 2500 having 2-stage springs and the 3500 having 3-stage ... saw one of each sitting side-by-side on a local lot about a month ago, very similiar equipment, about $1,000 difference in cost, feel you get more for your money with the 3500 ... should you purchase a 3500 you will get more exercise, because you'll never find a parking place anywhere near the front door of Wal-Mart :eek:

bigbobed
07-03-2002, 06:31
My wife was not happy when I replaced my 2500 with a 3500. Yesterday she changed her mind. We were towing our fiver in a gusty 35 mph wind coming at us from about 45 degrees. You could feel it really banging the fiver but I was making no steering adjustments. With the 2500 I would have been fighting the wheel. Which is why I upgraded in the first place. Didn't need the 3500 for towing capacity.

hammer
07-03-2002, 09:37
Don G, A duelly will give you better stablization & handling in rough situations.That extra two wheels in the back makes a big difference when pulling a big trailer.even the suspension is heavier for the load.I wouldnt pull a fifth without a duelly.Too much sway & torbelence with a 2500.If the truck is too light for the load your just asking for trouble.The stickers on the trucks are for guide lines for safety.If you match the truck with the trailer youll never be sorry.Nothing worse then fighting the load because it isnt matched.Hammer smile.gif smile.gif :cool:

stretch
07-03-2002, 14:29
I'd say if the pin weight says you need a 3500, then you should definetly go for the dually. If its close, I'd still go for the dually, why max out a 2500. As for dually's being a chick magnet, that depends on whether or not you need a dually to carry them tongue.gif Usually plus sized women appreciate a rear end wider than their own ;)

mackin
07-03-2002, 14:49
stretch ,
:eek:

Bigger trucks are like what they say about shoe sizes and glove size,if you know what I mean ......... tongue.gif

MAC :D

stretch
07-03-2002, 15:15
Mac,
Ever hear the expression " Big boat little d**k" I hope thats not true of large trucks tongue.gif BTW I'll see you at the Cornhole Diesel Day. I'll be the guy with the size 13 shoes. :cool:

pepperidge
07-03-2002, 15:30
"should you purchase a 3500 you will get more exercise, because you'll never find a parking place anywhere near the front door of Wal-Mart"
-------------------------------------------------

Not only that, but a lot of exercise hand washing that monster. I had a D*#dge dually and Had to hand wash my monster every week. Sometimes the wife did it for me :D :D :D

[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: pepperidge ]</p>

DonG
07-03-2002, 15:44
Thanks for all the good info. I have never owned a dually before so I was sticking with the 2500HD, until the pin weight on the 5'er got me very worried.

I knew I could not park near the front of a Wal-Mart already, because of the length of an Ext.Cab., Long Box. Now the width will push me even farther away.

I had never thought of it being a chick magnet before. I think I will change my order and find out.

Thanks again, Don

jeffbentleyreich
07-08-2002, 15:22
Has anyone replaced the 2500HD springs with the complete 3500 3-stage spring package? Without checking the price, it may be cost prohibitive...

ThumbScott
07-09-2002, 07:49
I have the same question as Jeff R.

zip
07-09-2002, 09:17
Well Mackin--I must be hangin out with the wrong girl. She's more concerned about the size of those BILLS IN MY WALLET. Of course I just met 54 yrs so What else is there left for me?
:D :D
But the best advice has already been given-- and it was free. Bigger loads require bigger trucks.
zip