PDA

View Full Version : Steer Without Power???

GMFAN70
07-02-2002, 16:18
Had an idle thought while parked, engine off, waiting for the wife. Tried to turn the steering wheel. NO GO! Earlier power steering trucks gave me a little control with no power.

What happened to those few of you who have lost power while driving (out of fuel, plugged filter, etc.)? Did you become a bowling ball waiting to hit the pins? Or does rolling reduce the tire friction enough to allow some minimum control? And how about brakes?

Kind of worrisome now that I've thought of it! And I don't want to go out and experiment.

mackin
07-02-2002, 17:03
Only at slow speeds its like leading an ELEPHANT to the barn..... I've just rolled mine down the driveway to move it and look out below....... It's an upper body work out .... Rolling at a descent clip isn't bad .... When my pump went on my 98 it would do just what your worried about, stall at the most inconvenient times ......Stalled at about 45 mph a few times before I got it fixed..... No problem getting it on to the shoulder....Steered fairly easy.....

MAC :D

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Colorado Kid
07-02-2002, 17:15
With the key in the "Lock" position it is locked, but turn it one click toward run and it unlocks. It's pretty heavy but you can steer. I coast mine out of the (attached) garage every morning so I don't stink up the house, and I start out with the steering almost against the lock backed in right next to the wall (so I can get in and out of the truck even if the minivan is in the garage) and have to straighten the steering as it comes out. I may have to figure out a different system when I'm 80, cause I won't be strong enough, but it works for now. I just have to remeber to turn the key one click before I release the brakes so I don't hit the van. ;)

Hint: If you start the engine while rolling, try not to have your foot on the brake, cause the brakes effectiveness changes dramatically when the engine starts :eek:

Also, in my experiance the Duramax absolutely cannot be "bump" started by letting out the clutch when rolling...it'll turn over but it won't start (even if you do wait out the wait light). I used to start the '91 that way every morning. Of course those of you with Allisons already knew you couldn't start it by rolling it down a hill.

hoot
07-03-2002, 04:02
The new trucks have no steering wheel lock if that's what you're talking about. Or do the manual equipped ones still have it?

GMFAN70
07-03-2002, 07:03
Thanks, Guys. Guess mine is normal and I've got another thing to watch out for.

Colorado Kid
07-03-2002, 13:08
That comment I made about remebering to turn the key one click before I release the brakes is there because I nearly did clobber the van! I hadn't noticed that the Automatic equiped trucks did not have a steering lock, but the ZF 6 speed trucks (at least mine) do have a steering lock.

MaxRock
07-03-2002, 14:51
Hoot, the manual equipped trucks still have the steering wheel lock. FWIW

MaxRock