PDA

View Full Version : Quadrasteer for 2500HD?

dsmith5740
06-11-2003, 20:29
I posted this on the general forum site, but thought I might catch others here.

Does anyone out there have an idea when/if GM intends to offer the new Quadrasteer package on 2500 HD's and/or Diesels?

I made the HUGE MISTAKE of test driving one last weekend. OMG! I can't sleep at night now! Driving a truck with this new 4 wheel steering is nothing short of a miracle. You can literally turn these puppies around on a dime. You can do a U-turn on a 2-lane road. Parking on of these trucks is absolutely unbelievable!

If you are not currently able to buy a new truck, then listen to me....DO NOT TEST DRIVE ONE OF THESE TRUCKS! You too will no longer get a good night's rest.

I've got to tell you, I felt like I cheated on my wife when I came back and faced my loyal '03 2500HD Duramax. I couldn't even look her in the eye. :rolleyes: I don't know how....but she knew! Maybe it was that dazed and confused look :eek: I had when after I test drove that damn Quadrasteer! I don't know.

Anyway, the dealership tells me that there are no current plans to set up any Diesels or 2500HD's with the Quadrasteer package that they know of. Now, I don't know if that is code for "We don't have any on our lot so we're going to tell you that they aren't coming out so you'll buy one of our current models" or what.

I did hear that they were putting the Quadrasteer in 2500 Suburbans (unconfirmed). If so, then I don't know why they wouldn't put it in the 2500 HD trucks.

Anyway, you've got to park this truck just once to believe it. And no, I don't work for GM...I'm just in love! Does anyone know any good divorce attornies who can help me with my current truck?

TxDoc
06-11-2003, 21:41
You can ask the Delphi guys here:

http://www.mrtruck.net.master.com/texis/master/search/msgboard.html?Catid=3e73f6ce3

It is worth the wait and the cost!

Here is the 4-Wheel & Off-Road Article:

http://community.webshots.com/album/75386269EZfiNl

dsmith5740
06-12-2003, 15:27
TxDoc - thanks for the link! You've opened a whole new world of Quadrasteer mania for me! (Just when I thought I might be able to get a good night's sleep).

It does appear that GM makes the Quadrasteer available for the 2500 Suburbans. So, hopefully it will come out on the 2500 HDs soon, and :eek: (hold breath) maybe even the Diesel 2500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab w/Long Bed (dare to dream).

Colorado Kid
06-12-2003, 16:54
I'd love to have one, but I suspect the 9.75" Dana 60 Center section is not quite up to the same touque loads as the 11.5" Eaton the D-max uses. . . I won't be surpised to see 2500s, maybe even 2500HDs with Q-steer, but If we do I expect them to have 6.0L gas engines only.

On the other hand I might not want to get Q-steer personally, because the fact that she has trouble parking it is is the only thing keeping my wife from taking over my truck. . . she doesn't even complain about the clutch anymore. :eek:

JRM
06-15-2003, 01:55
the current issue of trailer life magazine has a 2500HD duramax/allison hybread military truck with Quadrasteer system!!

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-15-2003, 19:45
Originally posted by Colorado Kid:
I'd love to have one, but I suspect the 9.75" Dana 60 Center section is not quite up to the same touque loads as the 11.5" Eaton the D-max uses. . . I won't be surpised to see 2500s, maybe even 2500HDs with Q-steer, but If we do I expect them to have 6.0L gas engines only. I think the Juice would break that rear end after a short amount of time :eek: .

A guy in town has a green one in a crew cab 1500 HD and I saw him drive out of the gas staion, WOW it look cool seeing the wheels turn all at once.

Another major consideration is the cost to repair/replace :rolleyes: .

GMC ;)

GMCTRUCK
06-16-2003, 08:39
What happens with these things when you crank the wheel all the way to the left and stand on it in 2 wheel drive? Donut city or what?

Burner
06-17-2003, 19:30
Looks like Jr. in the grass. :D :D

TxDoc
07-08-2003, 21:15
Ran across this info on a Duramax, Quadrasteer, 4-door crew cab, 37 x 12.5R 17LT on-/off-road military tire, Gross vehicle weight approx. 10,000 lbs.,

http://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/03january/gm_combatt.asp

So, maybe it's only a matter of time. smile.gif

dmaxalliTech
07-08-2003, 21:32
Originally posted by GMCTRUCK:
What happens with these things when you crank the wheel all the way to the left and stand on it in 2 wheel drive? Donut city or what? quad steer only avail on all wheel drive platform

TxDoc
07-08-2003, 21:39
Quadrasteer is AWD on the Denali, but is also availale with the 5.3L-AutoTrac, 2WD/4WD transfer case (non-AWD) configuration. I have the latter. You can also get it in a 2WD configuration.

DieselDixon
07-08-2003, 22:06
Sounds like just a good reason to pop the 2500HD over the 50k mark!