PDA

View Full Version : 6.5l turbo that wont run

ttpost
04-06-2004, 17:56
hey guys, i am new to your club and i am in need of help.i have a 94 chevy 4wd pu.my tranny blew and it took me several months to get it replaced.upon trying restart it after i installed the new tranny it wouldnt start and my glow plugs had short,i by passed the glow plugs,checked the lift pump bled the lines and have got fuel and pressure all the way to the shut off solenoid at the injector pump.i have no fuel at the injector lines though.i talked to stanadyne today and they said it is unlikely that my fsd died, because the truck was running fine when i parked it.i have voltage at the pink wires at the fsd.stanadyne said that it is possible that the solenoid in the injector pump was stuck,or varnished.any and all suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.

moondoggie
04-07-2004, 08:39
Good Day!

Since no one that knows anything has replied, I guess you

ttpost
04-07-2004, 12:28
hello brian thanks for your reply.when i say my glow plugs had a short,it is blowing fuses, so i by passed the glow circuit to activate the glow plugs, they are working.i have fuel to the solenoid shutoff to the exterior of the injection pump, but nothing on the injector line, so best i can tell the fsd is not activating in the injector.either it is stuck from sitting,the fsd is bad,the injection pump is bad, or the ecm is not putting out power,what i need to know is how to test the various items to find out if they are working or not.does anyone how to bring out the codes on the computer without spending a bunch of money on tools.you used to be able to use a paper clip on the computer terminal to access the codes, does that work on these trucks. thanks again rob

tom.mcinerney
04-07-2004, 12:46
Rob--
Suggest repair short before proceeding.
Iff you've got 4psi or more fuel pressure at pump inlet or filter cannister drain, then i'd check for a 'click' heard, and felt, at the fuel shutoff solenoid on front (vertical cylinder, 2 wires) of Fuel Injection Pump, as turn ignition to "on".
If good there, run thru checks outlined in Members Ref Area pswd page(not forum pswrd):
<http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm>
THEN Topics:Solutions for 1994 or newer 6.5TD Stalling {No Start, Stall, DTC 35 or P1216//In Reference to:GM Technical Service Bulletin # 77-63-06A}
<http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm>.
I just started up mine after sitting with no fuel injection lines for a year, started right up--but i'd opened one injector connector to bleed the lines, had to crank 1 minute +[in spurts].
There IS a good chance uncovered electrical connections have worsened from sitting in your salt air .If still no luck after clean-resecure
the engine harness grounds at rear engine {at least on my '95, not sure yours} and battery leads , then consider replace ignition switch, unless it's not original. The rear engine harness grounds ground PCM, glow controller, instruments, etc.
Fuel cannister, glow controller, and large multiple-pin electrical connector in harness by firewall are all threatened by tilting engine while swapping tranny.
Good luck, post progress.

charliepeterson
04-07-2004, 19:12
Check the "fuel sol. fuse" in the under hood fuse center, 20Amp. This comes from the ignition switch to the pump driver.

Try loosening an injector line at the injector for fuel while cranking.

Is the fuel quality good?

ttpost
04-07-2004, 20:09
thanks for your replies guys, so far i have checked the solenoid on the injector i do have fuel volume and psi there, but i dont have anything coming out of the injector lines, as far as corrosion, we are a long ways from the coast,(no salt air), but i will go through the connections, i have installed new batteries, and i have good cranking power, i have checked voltage at various points through out the system and they match the battery voltage.the only way i have to test the fuel is i poured some in a coffee can and it did burn, so i assume it is good, i am beginning to think that i am not getting proper voltage to the fsd, possibly due to the short in the fuel plug relay screwing up the ecm?????. i am not sure, ordered a new glow plug relay,hoping that is what is causing the short,upon checking today with my bypass solenoid on my glow plugs the glow plug light did come on and it didnt short the fuse, so i have come to the conclusion that the relay is causing the short.once again thanks for any and all help.and any other help is appreciated.just to let you know i called a couple of shops and they want 400 dollars just to analyze it, and i would have to have it towed there, so i really appreciate the help guys. cant wait to get it running again i love my truck, i was hunting in a subaru this year it sucked.hard to stuff elk in a subaru.lookin forward to your responses rob

moondoggie
04-08-2004, 05:46
Good Day!

On all our trucks up to & including 1995, you can check codes with a paper clip. I don't have the info handy on which pins, but if you've done this before on a pre-95 GM, it's the same on your truck.

1996-on they went to OBDII, & you need a reader to get codes out.

As I said, your problem is way beyond my knowledge. If you find you need to shotgun, buying a remote FSD setup isn't a bad place to start - the one on your truck will probably burn out someday anyway. If hooking up the remote FSD doesn't make it run, you'll at least have the part available when it does fail.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044