PDA

View Full Version : GM4 Verse GM8 Turbo?

gmenor
12-29-2003, 00:12
Planning to swap out my GM4 for a GM8 Turbo. Is there a significant difference? Current turbo is sounding sick and and I don't have the power I once had.

gmctd
12-29-2003, 15:07
GM-8 is more efficient than the -4, but only mechanical improvement over the -5.
If it's time to replace, go with the -8.
If you find one on E-bay, post the auction info - so far, most pics have been clear enough to discern the -8's from the -4's.
Not easy to tell if it's good, worn out but cleaned up, or broke, tho.

charliepeterson
12-29-2003, 19:23
Originally posted by gmenor:
Planning to swap out my GM4 for a GM8 Turbo. Is there a significant difference? Current turbo is sounding sick and and I don't have the power I once had. The GM 4 will spool up quicker for off the line but runs out of power at high RPM's. The GM 8 is just the opposite.
If you have a "Cat" being a '95 it could be getting plugged which will rob you of power. The down pipe from the turbo is also a BIG restriction. The easier this engine breaths the Better it runs!
I upgraded my exhaust system front to back and picked up 5lbs. of boost and dropped 100* on the pyro. It's the fastest truck I personally ever drove now.

gmenor
12-30-2003, 00:28
Thanks for the info, dealership wants $1945.00 for the turbo. I told them that I didn't want the diamond studded gold plated turbo.