PDA

View Full Version : No Auto-Unlock, No Gear Indicator

AlaskaDmax
04-26-2004, 19:31
Greetings!!

I was reading about the NSBU switch issue last night and was wondering if it might be the problem I am having.

The last couple of days I have had this problem intermittently...when I go to park the truck and shift to P the indicator light does not display what gear I am in and the doors do not automatically unlock, as they should. If I move the gear selector through the gears PRND321 it does not illuminate on anything but R. I have not gotten any error codes...yet. :confused:

Like I said I read about the NSBU and did not read anything about the door unlocking feature malfunctioning also so I thought someone could give me the 411.

Thanks, you guys kick butt.

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2004, 12:02
Sounds like the NSBU. Kinda' textbook, actually.

The doors don't unlock because the BCM doesn't get the signal from the NSBU indicating that you have selected park.

You normally won't get a DTC. The PCM/TCM doesn't see a problem, and the NSBU is passive. It has no diagnostic properties of its own. If there is a related DTC, it will be due to the NSBU causing the tranny to do something against the rules.

2K2AD
04-27-2004, 15:34
I agree with DMAXMav. Almost exactly what mine did. It cleared itself up once it dried out good but started acting up again as soon as it rained. Replaced the NSBU and all is well.

Kevin

Modified
04-27-2004, 18:26
-Starter can also fail to engage.
-Back-up lights can also fail when in Reverse.

See Excellent Article, on this site, for NSBU Switch replacement, that almost anyone can do themselves, with only a few tools, at:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/nsbu.htm

The Dealer Price can be as much as $100 plus installation. You can order a NSBU from dmaxalliTech to your door, for about $60, and install it yourself.
If you buy one, insist on the newly designed "tan" switch, and don't settle for the old "black" revision. The tan switch with the splash shield is more resistant to moisture.

AlaskaDmax
04-28-2004, 05:04
Most excellent information.
Thankyou for the assistance.
Keep on truckin'!!