PDA

View Full Version : Tranny loosing prime

TSimpler
04-26-2004, 15:03
My truck has been to the shop 4 times for the tranny loosing prime. When I let it sit for 3 days the tranny will not move the truck for 15 seconds. Then it will creep along for 10 seconds, then it will work like normal

My dealer said it was "normal" and there was not a fix. Can anyone help???

Thanks
Trent

mps007
04-26-2004, 20:02
If it's normal Why didn't my 01 do it?
My 04 doesnt do it....

get a new service tech

TSimpler
04-27-2004, 05:07
I'm dealing with the service manager.

He told me to "have faith and trust him"

Whatever...

Trent

cowboywildbill
04-27-2004, 05:47
I remember reading a post that deals with this. If I remember correctly there is a service bulliten and a fix for it and your dealer should know about it. And it is a warranty item. Good Luck. If I didn't know better I would think you went to Ideal Buick GMC, that is the kind of answer they would give you. They told me that my recall for the tailgate cables was not valid because I am over my 36,000 mile warranty. Go figure. Good Luck. I would try another dealer.

TSimpler
04-27-2004, 06:32
Does anyone have the tsb number and information?

He claims they did a tsb, but I noticed no differance.

Trent

mdrag
04-27-2004, 07:31
TSimpler,

Here is a link to a previous topic on the ALLISON LOSS OF PRIME (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=004558) problem. It does not list a TSB number, but a few part numbers are mentioned. Good luck.

Diesel Crat
09-23-2004, 11:34
Great Topic. My 02 responds differently to the long delays others have talked about and it doesn't have to sit for 5 or more days.

Mine sits overnight with the front end slightly higher. When backing up in reverse the truck wants to lurch after I apply brakes to stop and go into drive. Pull to the end of the driveway and does the same thing in drive as the brakes are applied.

Did it the other day on my way to the doctor. Then with it totally warmed with the front end low at the doctor's office I went to leave and the tranny wouldn't engage for about 2 seconds but engine did rev up. Banged severly when it did engage. Went 20 yards to enter road. Delayed again with engine rev up and slammed in again. It has done this with engine and tranny cold and warm.

Dealer found no codes, fluid condition,level problems, etc.

Tranny was serviced 1 month earlier for filter and fluid chnage (32,000 miles on truck). Never did it before that service. Is this "Loss of Prime" or something else and has anyone else experienced this scenario?

Cousin has early 04 model that delays and revs up but only in reverse.

01max
09-23-2004, 16:07
the bullition #03-07-30-011b updated aug 3 2004 involves 01-03 chev and gmc with allision trans that loose prime after sitting.

MIKE WIENER
09-23-2004, 16:13
Had same kind of thing. Bulletens #03-07-011 Torque converter bleed down over anextended perriod of non usage #03-07-011B Failure [PNP] switch.

I would have them check this out. The time frame for the bleed dow may vary on the level of falier. What happens is the fluid in the converter bleeds of into the trans Hens the sliping. Key thing to the repair is that the computer has to be reflashed after repair.

Hope this helps. MIKE

Diesel Crat
09-27-2004, 06:10
Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out!!!