PDA

View Full Version : Drill Pump Fluid Changes

Sandaholic
03-31-2004, 15:47
Draining the differential is easy, its filling it back up which is not as easy (no impossible, just not the most ideal). From what I have heard, the transfer can is even more of a pain to refill.

They have these pumps that are powered by drills. Some are made to suck the oil through a dipstick tube. Has anyone tried using one of these drill pumps to fill the transfer case or differential? In theory I would think you would just put the pickup tube in your bottle of new oil and put the output tube in the fill hole. You can't really overfill it b/c any excess oil will just drain out.

DmaxMaverick
03-31-2004, 16:14
Sounds like it'll work as well, or better, than the hand pump I use. I thought of getting a "powered" pump, but only think of it after I've pulled the drain plug. Overflow is no big deal. Just messy.

Nut4Trucks
03-31-2004, 16:50
For diffs and transfers I like to use a suction gun like you can get at any farm store, usually used for hydraulic fluid. I also use it to suck the fluid out of master cylinders and any reservoir with no plug. To add fluid it just works like a big syringe. I got the tip from a big truck mechanic. Hope this helps.

mdrag
03-31-2004, 16:55
Sandaholic,

Sounds like it should work. The first time I serviced the diffs, I was able to refill using the Mobil 1 container and a flexible hose - there was enough clearance to hold the container higher than the fill point and squeeze...The front was more challenging than the rear, but doable.

The second time I used the ATEC TRANSPORTER (http://www.toolsource.com/ost/product.asp?sourceid=NO+SOURCE&dept%5Fid=500&pf%5Fid=87409&mscssid=GGHKE8FB4A8A8GWB29W9TFEREHQ5AG98). Just fill with your favorite fluid, a few psi of air pressure... It couldn't be easier :D Also works to evacuate fluids.

http://www.toolsource.com/OstImages/prodimages/87409.jpg

Heavy Duty Neil
04-01-2004, 10:39
I bought one of these bottle pumps a couple weeks ago and it worked like a charm. You can get them at Autozone or wherever for under $10.
http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/differential/diffservice04.jpg
It worked really well for priming an old John Deere 3010 with diesel after changing the fuel filters too. :D

txguppy
04-02-2004, 10:37
$10 bucks for the hand pump sure beats $120 for the new-fangles ATEC TRANSPORTER.

MTTwister
04-02-2004, 13:43
Heavy Duty Neil
Can you get the Pump bottle without the contents? :D ( currently using Amsoil, funnel, skinny garden hose, and lotsa rags to clean up the mess, and it's slow going with the drip through the funnel method.)

Was thinking of the turkey baster to top the dang things off. OK, I guess the Valvoline free with the $10 pump bottle is worth it.

BTW - Noticed on the transfer case, some idiot designed a big piece of functional parts right behind the filler hole, making it tough to get the end of the hose well seated.

DmaxMaverick
04-02-2004, 15:13
Pep Boys, or any place that sells Sta-Lube products, should have a Sta-Lube brand pump. It costed about $5, and fits most lube bottles. It even comes with 2 suction tubes, one short for quart bottles, and one long for gallon bottles. I've bought several over the years.

Lone Eagle
04-05-2004, 20:05
All these pumps are nice but not needed. Autozone and Checker sell a plastic slide valve with about a 12" clear hose. You simply screw it on the bottle, stick the hose in the hole, raise the bottle and slide the valve to the open position. After you see the hose fill, punch a hole near the top. It will empty a bottle in a couple minutes. If you still have your oil drain pan under the differential, you can change bottles without removing the hose or spilling a drop. Later! Frank