PDA

View Full Version : Big Orange Towing Wire, no power?

TurboDiverArt
12-28-2003, 14:51
Hi All,

I read in the owner

LanduytG
12-28-2003, 15:13
Art
You need to get under the hood and hook it up. You will find it taped up on the drivers side. You will hook it to the fuse block on the drivers side fend.

Greg

TurboDiverArt
12-28-2003, 17:23
Originally posted by LanduytG:
Art
You need to get under the hood and hook it up. You will find it taped up on the drivers side. You will hook it to the fuse block on the drivers side fend.

Greg Thanks Greg!

It would be nice of GM to put that into the owner

HowieE
12-29-2003, 06:11
The orange wire is not hooked up at either end when it comes from the factory. You will find 2 large posts on the fuse block. Attach a inline 30 amp fuse holder to one of the posts and then to the orange line to get voltage to the rear of thr truck.

The light green wire is the backup circuit and should have voltage on it when the truck is in reverse. This should work when the ignition switch is in run or start.

The dark blue wire is generaly used for the trailer brakes and should have a circuit braker installed between it and one of the hot posts.
You should size the braker slightly over the trailer load using 4 amps per trailer wheel as the full load on the brake system. Two wheels @8 amps I would use a 15 amp braker. Four wheels @ 16 amps full load I would use a 20 amp braker.

TurboDiverArt
12-29-2003, 08:37
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense! I'll tackle the Orange wire first as I need that one working now. I'm glad I asked because if time had allowed last night I was going to run a new wire from the battery.

Definitely a 4-wheel trailer as my racecar weighs 3500 lbs plus the weight of the trailer. I