PDA

View Full Version : Composite rear fenders are WAY too fragile

c5dura
02-21-2003, 15:08
So I hose down my truck this morning to get rid of all the salt, grime and dirt, only to discover that my passenger rear fender is all cracked near the bumper. WTF?

This will be my THIRD fender in two months. I don't even know how this happended. The first time was from running into a ditch, the second time was from barely grazing a tree when backing up into a tight spot, and this third time must have been from touching a pile of snow backing into a parking spot at work.

At $500 dedutable for each incident, this is starting to get expensive, not to mentioned that my insurance will probably drop me soon. Of course the body shop loves me...

Oh, and I also found the driver side fog light hanging by the wire and sure enough, as others have reported, the bracket pulled through the screws.

I can't get over how flimsy these newer truck are. The '03 looks to be even worse with even more plastic up front.

I think I'll look for a truck made of steel next time that uses steel brackets to attach things.

I love the drivetrain and interior, but boy did GM skimp on the exterior robustness of their trucks these days.

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: c5dura ]</p>

mackin
02-21-2003, 16:07
c5dura

Not to burst your bubble but,just my observation .....

You ran into a ditch......
Grazed a tree.....
Backed into a snowbank......

Know it seems to me that if you would just stop hitting things,problem solved..... tongue.gif

I could see the gripe with GM if it were cracking or chipping due to normal driving such as ice and snow being thrown at that exterior by the tires ....I for one like the composite sides....I find LESS normal road damage as it is semi flexable.....

Hows the exterior of the Vette holding up ?? ;)

MAC :D :D :D

GMCTRUCK
02-21-2003, 16:56
Alot of guys around here who plow with their 3500HDs have cracks or chunks missing out of their composite fenders from rubbing snow banks. They insist they have never had dually fenders this weak. It seems people who actually use these trucks for work are finding out how chinsy some aspects of these trucks can be. I just payed $25 for a front inner fender liner that broke from the deep snow we had. While in there I noticed my plastic airdam/bumper cover was popping off the brackets. :mad:

mackin
02-21-2003, 18:22
My buddy stopped plowing for the town with his 98 dually with fiberglass tubs,or Duallys in general....From chunks being thrown at rear tubs....Bought one every year ..... I always told him SLOW DOWN !!!!!! He just smiled .... Now he plows with a 2500 HD Dmax......

MAC :D :D :D

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

FirstDiesel
02-21-2003, 18:23
Almost every old style dually around here has broken fenders. They are only fiberglass. I've not yet seen a 2001+ with fender damage. Seems to me if your going to damage a flexable fender you certainly would have damaged a fiberglass one.

Buck
02-22-2003, 01:49
Funny you guys should mention this. I was looking through one of those car buyer booklets tonite and seen a 2001 3500 D/A in there. Pewter color x-cab and had a huge (front) chunk of the driver side fender gone and some of the chrome band between the front lights....I thought WTF !! Why wouldn't someone fix a truck this new :confused: I know from work, that it takes a hole new side (all one piece). This guy must have had c5dura's bad luck :eek:

c5dura
02-22-2003, 11:09
Mac, I know what you're saying, but unlike the vette, this is a TRUCK and I drive like a TRUCK. The vette has composite panels everywhere and they are all holding up nicely. ;)

My old, all steel '81 F150, looks more or less the same now as it did 15 years ago, and believe me, it has seen its share of abuse.

My main gripe is that I feel GM should make their trucks at least a little tougher than their regular cars as truck are generally subjected to heavier use.

I don't really mind the fact that the fenders are composite(will never rust), but I just wished they were reinforced better.

And those super cheap plastic fog light brackets. Drive though a snow drift and puff, they brake.

Once I get my truck back this time, I'll have to put on my kids gloves on when driving it...

C5dura

mackin
02-22-2003, 15:50
"Once I get my truck back this time, I'll have to put on my kids gloves on when driving it..."

:D :D :D

MAC smile.gif

GMCTRUCK
02-22-2003, 16:02
I think GM needs to be reminded that these are supposed to be trucks and not new versions of the El Camino. Although the El Caminos weren't this fragile. tongue.gif

[ 02-22-2003: Message edited by: GMCTRUCK ]</p>

JimWilson
02-24-2003, 12:13
"Like a rock"? :eek:

Heartbeat Hauler
02-24-2003, 14:26
I had running boards installed on my truck and the box boards. When I went to step on the the box board (driverside)I heard a crunch sound. When I looked underneath I found that the running board's rear most bolt is attached to the fender. Now the running board is still attched to the fender, however, that part of the fender is no longer attached to the truck. It broke off a about 3 inch section of fender. So it sucks to be me.... :(
JP

thechevyhdman
02-28-2003, 08:06
LOL OMG who would purposely buy a 3500 dually and plow with it. My brother smashed up his fender within 1.5 months of owning his truck. He jackkniifed his snowmobile trailer into it and just snapped out a small piece where the fender curves into the frame. I plow and can first hand say whether its fiberglass or sheetmetal or iron your going to break, bend, or crunch something. Especially here in the Northeast...Snow falls...snow melts....snow refreezes....harder than concrete. Anyone who plows can vouch for that when they stack snow and smash into the last storms pile. Snowplow springs cant even take that abuse I wouldnt expect a fender to either. You have to remember how brittle fiberglass becomes in winter. Now I do have to say Id rather smash up a dooley fender than my sheetmetal on my 2500HD....Lot easier to replace the fiberglass...and you dont have to pay for stud gun work, pulling dents, Bondo, Nice clean fender that looks brand new.
C5/Dura what was the bill for R&R on that dually fender? Sorry about your bad luck

c5dura
02-28-2003, 08:27
hdman, the bill consistently runs $1,280 on either side. That includes a new 4x4 sticker. ;)

C5dura

DMAXDiva
02-28-2003, 08:33
Hey C5:

Would you mind e-mailing me? I have a couple of questions about your Vette mods...I've been thinkin' about long-tubes for the Z06.

Thanks!

DMD
dmaxdiva@yahoo.com

a64pilot
02-28-2003, 08:59
Not that it helps you at all, but the plastic being brittle is a cold weather thing. Down south here where it's not cold the composite is a big improvement, it gives and pops back into shape.
Funny how a detroit automaker doesn't build for cold weather huh? :eek:

RapidMax
02-28-2003, 18:11
c5dura said:

"hdman, the bill consistently runs $1,280 on either side. That includes a new 4x4 sticker.
C5dura"

Personally, I had those extra fancy plastic stickers hot-gunned off by the dealer's body shop before I took delivery on the '03-erado. They didn't even charge me any "extra"
tongue.gif