PDA

View Full Version : For the allison crew, Big Al/Buckman/MrWolf

RKB'S HD
02-20-2003, 21:27
HI guys newbie here. Been reading for awhile you guys sure know your stuff about these trucks.Very refreshing especialy since when you ask the guys at dealership a question, they just shrug and reply they will have to call and ask GM.
I have a 2002 2500HD CC/8.1/allison with 26000 MI.
I took it into the dealer the other day to have them check out the trans.It would shudder as it went into 3rd gear but only after the temp. got above 150 on the gauge.They had it for about an hour and determined it needed a new tranny.
was wondering if someone could find out what went wrong with the original trans? vin# for the truck is 1GCH23G42F196443 Thank you very much in advance. Hope I can help you guys out with something in the future.

Buckman
02-21-2003, 15:05
I have a mole who might be able to find what you seek. It might take a bit of time, but I've always believed that patience is a virtue. I'll let you know if/when any information becomes available. ;) ;)

RKB'S HD
02-21-2003, 18:20
Thank you Buckman for any help you can give.

dmaxalliTech
02-23-2003, 20:12
you could have a couple of problems, both of which will require replacement of trans regardless but at least you know whats up... GM has not authorized field repair of these other then electrical and fluid leak issues.

The tcc starts to apply in second gear after the truck is warmed up, after 150 on the gauge, or close to it.. warm regardless, if the tcc is slipping this could cause it, I dont think this is it because you would most likely get problems in other gears.

The other, more likely cause is a slipping C3 clutch pack. In third gear, the C1 and C3 clutches are applied. C3 only shares 5th gear and reverse. When you get to fifth gear, the torque load on trans might be light enough to not feel it, third gear would put you in a load situation like accelerating from stop or downshift. I would have to conclude your problems, if mechanical or hydrolic stem to that. however, without your truck and my Tech-2, we will not know.... hope they get your truck on the road in a timely manner, last Allison we ordered took 10 days

dmaxalliTech
02-23-2003, 20:13
you could have a couple of problems, both of which will require replacement of trans regardless but at least you know whats up... GM has not authorized field repair of these other then electrical and fluid leak issues.

The tcc starts to apply in second gear after the truck is warmed up, after 150 on the gauge, or close to it.. warm regardless, if the tcc is slipping this could cause it, I dont think this is it because you would most likely get problems in other gears.

The other, more likely cause is a slipping C3 clutch pack. In third gear, the C1 and C3 clutches are applied. C3 only shares 5th gear and reverse. When you get to fifth gear, the torque load on trans might be light enough to not feel it, third gear would put you in a load situation like accelerating from stop or downshift. I would have to conclude your problems, if mechanical or hydrolic stem to that. however, without your truck and my Tech-2, we will not know.... hope they get your truck on the road in a timely manner, last Allison we ordered took 10 days

RKB'S HD
02-23-2003, 22:01
Dmaxallitech
Thanks for the info.Could anything else, not related to the physical tranny, cause these symptoms?(IE. electronics,driveline, rear end?) They got my truck back to me in 3 days and it has one of the brand new Retran. Alli's in it, but it seems to be doing the exact same thing. Now what are the odds that I got another brand new trans that has the exact same problem???? I have about 700 miles on this trans I'm hopeing the symptoms go away'don't want to have to put another trans in. Might not be as lucky and get a rebuilt black tranny in it. :confused:

[ 02-23-2003: Message edited by: RKB'S HD ]</p>

RKB'S HD
03-05-2003, 10:09
Just didn't want to get forgotten about smile.gif

Searay90
03-05-2003, 13:00
Did they replace the Torque Converter when they put the new tranny in? If not, then the problem may have been in the torque converter all along.

RKB'S HD
03-05-2003, 21:51
A whole new trans went in, torque converter and all! :confused:

[ 03-05-2003: Message edited by: RKB'S HD ]</p>