PDA

View Full Version : Softer Ride

rickdlance
03-28-2004, 17:05
I just bought my wife a 2001 regular cab duallie 4wd. Can anybody suggest an inexpensive way to make it ride better and sit lower. I am thinking about removing 1 leaf from rear and adjusting the torsion bars. Pro's and Con's??? We deliver new trailers and she says the ride is killing her.

Heartbeat Hauler
03-29-2004, 08:54
I don't think removing load carrying ability would be a good idea. It will make the truck ride better, but if you are towing for a living it may be unsafe. There is a product, Velvet-Ride shackles, that some folks here on the forum recomend and they seem to think they work well. Also, adding Bilstein shocks seem to help especially when towing. Here is the website for the shackles, check 'em out here:

http://www.lordcorp.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=488

P.S. There are vendors here on the forum that can give you a pretty good deal on the shocks.
Good luck
JP

Kennedy
03-29-2004, 09:29
I'd pull the overload "slapper" brackets, and add a set of Air Lift bags with an on board compressor. That way she can bring up the spring rate as needed and you'll lose the shock of contacting the slapper pads.

Is the ride empty or loaded killing her?

Bumper pull or GN trailer?

Bilsteins for sure!

JimWilson
03-29-2004, 10:48
I 2nd the Velvet Ride shackles. They will smooth out the ride and lower the rear about an inch or so.

rickdlance
03-29-2004, 16:22
Loaded is not that bad. Empty is the problem and she only hauls new empty stock trailers at this time.

kerry witherspoon
03-29-2004, 16:53
Check out kelderman air ride i have and love it.

mdadgar
03-29-2004, 17:25
I have the Kelderman Air Ride as well. Check out my .sig for a link.

Great people at Kelderman. Recommended.

Get a set of Bilsteins, too. I just installed mine last week and I cannot believe I waited this long to do it. There's a ton more rebound damping on the rear, which is exactly what the truck needed.

- Mark