PDA

View Full Version : Allison transmission question

okeehandyman
12-28-2005, 13:30
I'm wondering if it is possible to add a PTO shaft unit to an '05 tranny. I have an '05 D/A in a 2500HD truck. I was told that the older trannys had them but the '05 units did not. A stealership just looked at me as if I was speaking a strange language or someting. I guess I need to talk to a Truck person that has experience with trucks that are used as trucks. I'm sure we those people here. Thanks for any info.

87max
12-31-2005, 14:44
Try contacting Allison directly?

DmaxMaverick
12-31-2005, 15:06
Okeehandyman

That dealer must not sell/service any fleet trucks. A functioning PTO is available for cab/chassis models, and they have the same tranny. Your tranny has the accomodation for PTO (6 bolt covers, on both sides), but lacks the space underneath, and the PCM programming. Both of which could be overcome, if a person had a mind to.

White Truck
12-31-2005, 19:59
Some 2004.5 and newer 2005 Chevrolet and GMC pickup trucks equipped with Allison transmissions do not have PTO gears installed on the rotating housing. Instead, they have a tone ring for the turbine speed sensor that does not have the ability to drive a PTO.

All 01-05 8.1 L18 (VIN code G) and 01-04 6.6 LB7 (VIN code 1) engine equipped trucks will have the PTO gear installed from the factory and has the ability to drive a PTO if desired. All 04-05 6.6 LLY (VIN code 2) engine equipped pickup trucks will not have a PTO gear installed but will only have the tone ring. All 04-05 6.6 LLY (VIN code 2) engine equipped chassis cab trucks (models *C36*** or *K36***) will have a PTO gear installed. Trucks with box delete option, RPO ZW9, do not have a PTO drive gear unless they are equipped with an 8.1L, L18.

If you want to use a PTO on a pickup truck equipped with a LLY 6.6 engine, it will be necessary to install a rotating housing that has a PTO gear installed on it. Part number for the rotating housing is 29540518.

I am not sure what, if any, change was made to this for the 2006 model year, but suspect that the information as stated above applies to pickup applications.