PDA

View Full Version : power steering adjustment nut

akrockhound
03-25-2004, 20:26
I have had two power steering pumps replaced under warranty due to either leaky units or faulty internal problems.

Each time I get the truck back the steering seems to have excess free play in the steering.

The steering was tight pre-steering box trouble so I know its not a loose front end.

Can I simply turn the allen nut on the steering box clockwise (after loosening locknut) to get rid of this free play?

Can anyone explain what this actually does? does it increase fluid pressure in the pump or does it reduce free play at the worm gear like it did in older vehicles?

Wandering HD2500

mark45678
03-26-2004, 18:51
check your pitman are for play!

glclary
03-26-2004, 19:46
Had a new steering box put on my '01 under warranty. The new one was loose like yours. I complained to the dealer and the tech tightened it up the with the allen nut. No more problems in 30k or so. The allen nut changes the relationship of the gears in the box. If you do it yourself, try about 1/4 turn at a time. Too much could damage the box.

Regards,
Lee

Merconvert
03-26-2004, 19:57
Hey AkRockhound

I'll be up in Fairbanks,in Late June or July. Yep Rockhound to, maybe we can get together.??
What is fuel prices??
I have a 01,just had all new Enjectors, Pump and Air Box, have a great Dealer down here. All under warranty.!!!!! Only loose nut is under the wheel. Ha Ha