PDA

View Full Version : Wet underside and tailgate...

chicoc48
09-16-2002, 17:00
Well, finally got to put my D/A to the test last weekend. Towed a 8.5X 24 stock car trailer about 450 miles round trip. The truck seemed to handle the load beautifully. Not sure of the weight, but would guess about 8000 fully loaded. Averaged about 11.5 mpg for the trip. Everything seemed fine until we unhooked the trailer upon arriving back home. The entire tailgate and front of the trailer was splattered with what I assume to be tranny fluid. Upon further inspection and an engine oil change, I found the underside of the truck to be coated with pinkish-reddish fluid. I couldn't see any definite leaking areas, and couldn't tighten any of the cooler lines at all. Level seems fine when I check the dipstick, but I would guess that about a cup of fluid is spread between the bellhousing and the bumper. Anything to check or tighten before I call my dealer?? Truck is only 3 months old and has about 5500 miles on it. :confused:

Thanks for any help you may offer!!

CHICO

TLA
09-16-2002, 17:13
If the transmission were over filled, when it heated up towing, the fluid could have expanded to the point it was forced out the breather. Even slightly overfull can cause this. Was it oily? Or did it leave a residue like salt water would? That could be antifreeze. Because there have been ATF leaks at the cooler lines, as well as the Torque Converter, it might be wise to get it looked at.

chicoc48
09-16-2002, 17:35
TLA- The underside of the mid-section of the truck was totally wet. Wet enough that there was some drops ready to fall off the sheetmetal of the cab floor. Where does the breather exit for the tranny??

Kennedy
09-16-2002, 17:57
There is a metal breather cap up top of the trans body about the size of a bottle cap.

I'd try spraying Brakleen around the spin on filter and see if it may just be weeping there, and also check the little weep hole for the bellhousing.

chipper
09-16-2002, 19:14
I had the same problem about 2 weeks ago. I learned thru the dealer tranny mechanic that the full mark at the top of the checkered area is for 240F tranny temp. If you fill it to this full mark at 190F (normal running temp) it will **** out thru the vent about a pint. The vent is top rear on tranny. Be safe & have it checked but you are probably OK.

schnier
09-17-2002, 04:37
I accidentally ran my D/A in 4 wheel drive mode on the highway going about 75mph for 20 minutes before I noticed it was on. The transfer case also has a vent that blew out a little under the whole truck. I cleaned it up and it never leaked again. All fluid levels checked OK. I was wondering what that whining noise was while driving. Oh well live and learn. Truck runs great at 33,000 miles and two years later.

77TransAm
09-17-2002, 09:42
chipper, I think your mechanic was slightly misinformed. The normal operating temp for the 1000 series is 160-200 degrees F. Dipstick calibrations were done in this temperature range and not at 240, which is only 10 degrees from sump overtemp.

chicoc48, if the oil is coming all the way from the bellhousing area, your breather is probably not the culprit. If you pull the rectangular bolt access cover near the spin-on filter, you should be able to see if there is oil inside the bellhousing. If oil is present in that area, the trans will have to be removed to find the source of the leak.