PDA

View Full Version : Onstar ???

Kennedy
09-15-2002, 11:53
I do not have a cellular subscription with Onstar, just the std. emergency service, but have had a couple of occasions where the radio shuts off, the Onstar starts ringing in the speakers and the far right green LED blinks. Nobody ever answers or anything , but quite odd. Just curious if anyone else has had this happen? Am I calling out, OR was someone calling me?

My Onstar quit (red light) early on and I now have a new module installed.

ThePend
09-15-2002, 12:06
Sounds to me as if youre calling out. But even then it just may be calling onstar. Ive got the onstar in the rearview mirror along with the compass and temp. Every now and then when it rains and the passenger wiper passes over the mirror assembly it resets the compass and temp as well as flashes the green lights for onstar and the electrochomatic mirror. Dealer wants me to bring it in when its acting up. Of course I told him it was intermittent.

mackin
09-15-2002, 15:33
kennedy ,

It's happened to me and when I push the answer button it's the COPS telling me to slow down !!!!!!! :D :D

No, I have had it happen a couple times once it was just sitting in the driveway truck off......I attempted to answer and nothing but "AIR".......One other time I was idling and once again I answered and it was the wrong number.....It was a female, and thank goodness wife was in the store ,less explaining.....So I believe that is how it alerts you to an incoming call, ringing on the speakers.....I do subscribe to, or pay for air time as I drive to NY occasionally and they have the no hand held cell phone laws there.......Why yours did it who knows, unless the have a dedicated number,for emergencys or future upgrades, and some one "HAS GOT YOUR NUMBER", if you know what I mean...... :eek:

MAC

dcpdave
09-15-2002, 21:25
john and mac,
i just read on a g.m. technician web site from a dealer in iowa that had a customer complaint simular to yours. they called gm's technical assistance and as near as they could figure out, they suspect a telemarketer company that uses an auto dialer, this customer had repeated calls every few minutes, and when he answered, the line was dead. the dealer had to reprogram the onstar unit with a new phone number. i don't have any more info than that, but will keep an eye open, if i get any more info i'll let you know. in the mean time, you might check with your local dealer and see if they have heard of this yet.

hope this helps,

Kennedy
09-16-2002, 08:51
Interesting. I guess it would HAVE to have a phone # now wouldn't it? Or could it just use the ESN?

This most recent call was Saturday PM enroute home from the HD Tomahawk Fall Ride (between 8 and 9) and it rang several times. I think a telemarketer will only ring 3-4 MAX (more like 2)

sdaver
09-17-2002, 13:22
some units come with free minutes push the white button and say number......it will give you your number......may be thats how your girl friend got it??????//not really funny......I got a long distance call from liverpool england by mistake in alabama.....boy he was surprised dave