PDA

View Full Version : 6 speed trans

germ1
02-18-2003, 08:01
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting new truck. I have a crew cab Dmax/ally. I was wondering what you think about a 6 speed instead? I tow a 10k trailer.

Thanks for your response

Jelisfc
02-18-2003, 08:54
I love mine. Heaviest I've towed is 4500 lbs.
It does take 500 miles for the tranny to shift really smooth so IF you can find one to test drive don't be worried if it is a little notchy at first.

johnpugh
02-18-2003, 14:22
I like my stick :D

I've had my truck for a couple months now and can tell you that the 6 speed ages well. At first, things were a little clunky, but the wear-in has been good.

One thing to watch out for is the 1 - 2 shift. The pattern is kinda squirrely. But since '1' is actually a granny, you will do most of you launching in '2' after break-in.

Oh yeah, that's another thing, for break-in, the manual recommends starting out in '1' for the first 500 miles. It has something to do with seating the clutch components.

Later,

Timberline
02-18-2003, 21:00
Like everyone else has said it is a little notchy at first but no prblems after it has broken in. Shifts nice and smooth now. I love mine but if I had to drive in heavy stop and go city traffic most of the time I would definately go for the Allison.

Swayse
02-21-2003, 08:26
I never found a 6 speed to test drive, they are rare. Why is GM making so few 6 speeds? Sure as heck not gonna order one and wait, sorry guys, when I want something I want it now. Dealer counldn't find one for 600 miles, so I bought a Dodge and love it. It is so nice to be able to shift again. I will never own another auto, they take all the fun out of driving. Driving through town now, slowing down when I get to a green light hoping it will turn red before I get there, so I can row through the gears again. :D Throw the cell phone out the window and drive.

Jelisfc
02-21-2003, 12:58
It took me one day short of six weeks to order my truck last fall. That wasn't long at all to wait for what I really wanted.

johnpugh
02-21-2003, 13:46
Ditto on Jelisfc's experience. Ordered truck mid to late October, arrived a railhead in Arlington before Thanksgiving, drove off Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Not long at all :rolleyes:

Later...

GMCTRUCK
02-21-2003, 17:07
I am very happy with the 6 speed. Great mileage and you're not at the computer's mercy. Was chunky/notchy at first but, getting better.

dieseldoc
02-22-2003, 20:42
It took 8 weeeks to get my truck with the 6 speed but I really love it. We live in western Colorado and towing up some of the longer hills was tough on the older truck with the auto trans. No more pulling down to a lower gear and having to compromise on RPM when going up the big ones.

2002 Long box Ext.cab 4X4